Saturday, September 18, 2010

steeking Sipalu

Instructions for the Sipalu bag have you starting with the band that runs along the three closed sides, knitting its stranded pattern flat, which means doing stranded knitting on purl rows. That doesn't sound like fun to me, so I cast on a few extra stitches and knit it in the round so the right side was always facing me. The color combos with the yarns chosen from my stash didn't have the contrast I would have liked, so you can't really see the stranded pattern anyway, but it's only an issue on the side of the bag (so far) and I'm not bothered by it. Today at Jesse's rocket club launch, I finished the reverse stockinette band that turns the corner from side to the face of the bag, so it was as good a time as any to steek.


A few quick snips, open up that circle of knitting into a U shape, cast on 80 more stitches to go across the open top edge of the bag, and now I'm working on the ever-decreasing rounds, perimeter to center.

Among the rocket dudes today, there were at least three knitters lovin' the sunshine and the rocket show.
---
To Anonymous, who requested an update on Leah's projects, it'll come soon. She's been a busy stitcher and has much for me to photograph, if we're ever both home at the same time long enough to snap some pics!
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous random Cindy said...

steeking in public! You are a brave woman.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Joansie said...

I can't wait to see your finished bag. I'm confused as to why the pattern did not have one knitting in the round or am I missing something. I love knitting Fair Isle and I'm teaching a class on it in another week.

I may have to buy this kit but I've been trying to save my $$$ for the Vermont Sheep and Wool Festival in a couple of weeks.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

Forget about steeking in public! Just plain steeking (sream). When I try my first steek, I will be in the local yarn shop with a posse of experienced emergency knitters surrounding me. A life-support system.

I have no idea what your talking about with that bag. It sounds really complicated, which means it's going to be really cool when it's done. Can't wait to see it. Wish I had friends who knit in public. sigh. I get teased.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home