Tuesday, August 17, 2010

weight loss surgery

ha ha. No, not for me. I'm losing weight the old fashioned way. This is weight loss surgery for my favorite bag!

I wear my everyday bag (which pretends to be a purse, but is really just a place to carry a sock WIP, phone, and wallet -- what else does anyone need?) with the strap diagonally across my body and have noticed recently that, since there's less of me to go around, the strap is now too long and the bag is hanging too low on my hip. The bag is commercially made by Faded Glory, but it's just basic single crochet, so I figured I could perform surgery and get more use out of it. It ends up that I didn't need my mad crochet skillz after all, but since I took pics of the process, I'm posting them here anyway. After 25 years of medical transcription, I can't help but think of it this way:


Preop. Evaluated risks and benefits of procedure.
Received informed consent.

Bag as it was, strap with a safety-pinned flap so I could try it on and see how much excess strap needed to go away before putting the scissors to use.


Incision, debridement, excision.

Picked apart the seam where the strap was sewn in place. 3" of strap was tucked between the bag and lining. Snipped the extra 6" of strap a couple of inches from my pin marker. Whip stitched around the raw edge to prevent unraveling.


Anastomosis performed without complications.
Wound and portals closed with interrupted 3-0 cotton mattress sutures.

Tucked the new end back in place. Secured it well down inside with doubled sewing thread, then stitched it securely in place along the top edge, then a row of stitches to secure the lining/zipper back in place.


Prognosis: Excellent.

Bag back to hip height, not bouncing off my thigh with every step!

(p.s., for those who have asked, 60 so far. WooHoo!)
Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

Anonymous Sandy said...

Whoop-whoop! Looking good womer!

5:56 PM  
Blogger The gal not the month said...

You and the bag look wonderful. Oh how I miss you!!!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Jen. said...

jpYou look great, Debbie! Think of you every time we brush our teeth with soda and peppermint oil. :)

Jen at www.thewoollenearth.com

8:25 PM  
Blogger Come and Share a Cup of Tea said...

Hey! I'm at 60 too! Wonder if we'll recognize each other? Congrats healthy lady!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Happened to look you up today. Not as much to see :) Good for you.
love,
ginnie

10:17 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

My God! 60? That is amazing. Really! You are looking awesome - and kudos to the bag fixin'. It's perfect. You'll get a lot more mileage from that thing now!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Debbie! Good to see you fixing and creating. Looking good!
Debbie

5:07 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

You go Deb! You look amazing. Nice job on the surgery.

11:56 AM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!

Wow!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

If someone does not have insurance due to expense or pre-existing conditions, the MD247 24 Hour telephonic physicians network brings affordability to healthcare. Even if a patient does have insurance, the cost for MD247 and the expense associated with the telephonic physician’s network is typically less than most co-pays insurance requires.
talk to a doctor

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home