Monday, April 21, 2008

bonanza

The local weavers' guild recently received a huge donation of yarn and weaving equipment from the estate of a member who passed away. This weekend they were having a "yarn tag sale" (how cool is that?!), so Jesse and I went to check it out. As we pulled up to the house where they were having the sale, I could see a rainbow of yarn on tables outside the garage. As we walked up the driveway, I could see that there was a ton more yarn on tables inside the garage. Then I noticed the signs: $1/skein, $2 and up for cones. Hoo boy, let's get busy! An hour later, Jesse and I unloaded the car at home and set up our haul so we'd be able to show it to Scott and Leah when they got home. Here's the whole shebang on 8 ft. of desk space:


Most of the skeins are Tahki Donegal Homespun and Berga wool. Here in the center of the red section, there's a dozen or so skeins of Donegal Tweed Homespun that's a rich, deep red. In front of that is 15 skeins of Donegal Homespun in a lighter red with a bit of orange spun in. The retail price of the front group of red/orange skeins alone exceeds what I paid for the entire load! Squee!!


There are sweater quantities of quite a few individual colors and the mind boggles at the fun I can have putting multiple colors together in projects. Lots of tweed, because both of the guys in my family have requested sweaters with tweedy yarns (Cobblestone for Scott, a variation on Durrow for Jesse). I made sure to get lots of coned yarns for the resident weavers to play with too.


My sewing machine is in this pic for scale, down here on the BIV end of the spectrum. Oh yeah, that's a beautiful lotta yarn!



When I was a kid, I remember the thrill of Murphy Mart having a $1/skein sale on crappy acrylic yarn. I would buy $20-30 worth (earned from selling my crocheted clowns) and organize the skeins in my yarn box, and then I'd gaze with delight on my yarn while imagining all the fun projects to come. Here I am 30+ years later, with the same feelings about the same stuff (well, it's still yarn, but infinitely better quality now) and, amazingly, at the same price!
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Wow. I think, for me, this would be the point where I'd feel overwhelmed by my own yarn! That's quite a haul, and the colors are beautiful. Have fun, all of you!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Susan Pandorf said...

Thanks for stopping by the sunflower farm the other day. Are you new? Or are you a lurker?

Anyway, thanks for your enthusiasm. Hope you'll come again soon...

Blessings!

1:44 PM  
Blogger antiprincess said...

they have yarn tag sales?

a girl could die of joy.

7:54 PM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

I don't know a lot about knitting or yarns but I realize you hit a score with that sale. And the colors of the yarn are just unbelievable. Eye candy!! I love a bargain and if I came across a sale like that I would have done some serious damage to my pocketbook.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow. That is quite a haul. Have a lot of fun with that yarn!!!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home