Thursday, April 17, 2008

"trout, trout, pretty little trout...

...jump right in and splash about!"

One of Scott's main fishing buddies has been a friend of mine since I was age 16. I don't know if he made it up or not, but he has been singing that little trout ditty to me and anybody who will listen for, uh, 25 years. It has become the theme song for Scott's group of fishing derelicts and you should see them all shake their booty and laugh like little girlie men every time they make fishing plans.

The preparations for this year's Opening Day weekend excursion began weeks ago, increasing in intensity this week. As expected, my little knit fishies were not easily wrangled into a hat formation, so I had to laugh when Ravelry popped up babycocktails' fishy hats on the random assortment of favorites! I printed out the pic, squinted to chart the pattern to graph paper, used 2-3 strands of leftover yarn at a time with size 10 needles and -- TA DA! -- a grown-up sized fishy hat!

But wait, what's that string hanging from the top?

But of course! A dapper collection of de-hook-ified lures; just what every well-dressed fisherman needs!

The forecast is for sunny, warm days this weekend, but I bet those nights around the campfire and the early mornings standing in/near the river will be chilly. I know one bald fisherman whose head and ears will be toasty warm.

Have fun, guys! I'm looking forward to that fresh fish dinner on Sunday evening, but I think I'll defrost a lasagna that day anyway, just in case you throw all the big ones back in. ;-)
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Holy cow, that is SO cute.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is from a Bugs bunny cartoon show, my kids sing it all the time, it's the episode with the 2 hillbillies dancing around & Bugs Bunny is playing a violin & singing that song.

Denis

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention, I found the episode on youtube
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZip41FAec[/url]

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZip41FAec

obviuosly BBCode doesn't work on this site, use Joomla!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Nad said...

Hi, I like your fishing hat. I want the pattern.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home