Wednesday, June 02, 2010

I Spy (a bunch of loons)

I Spy another knitter on a DVD we were watching recently. This one was no surprise, although it's the first time we've watched the show. Any guesses who it is? I'm thinking lots of you will be able to recognize this knitter's hands.

Remember how a couple of weeks ago I showed Leah's mess of a room? Well, last Tuesday morning I mentioned to Scott that the calendar was blissfully clear for the next few days, so we were discussing building shelves and cubbies in her closet, but then we got to talking about how what the room really needed was an overhaul to go from a little girl's room to a young lady's room/studio so the space could really work for her. And of course, in our crazy old house, this does not simply involve a paint job and new quilt. No, of course not. Tuesday afternoon, she packed her stuff. Wednesday and Friday, we gutted it. Saturday the framing for the new closet went up. The electricians were here on Sunday to confirm that Scott did the wiring correctly (their expertise rec'd in exchange for wood-fired pizza shells :-). As of yesterday, the sheetrock is up, the first coat of mud has been applied, and a color/design scheme is coming into focus.

When not hauling debris out or sheetrock in, and when not wiping construction dust off of every item and surface in our house, Leah made herself a ribwarmer. She came up with this idea on her own. She used a chunky crochet hook and 2 strands of worsted weight yarn to double crochet a trianglefor the back, then she crocheted two rectangles down the front, then connected the front to the back by crocheting around the side, decreasing the number of stitches per row as she traveled upward. Simple construction, done on the fly, a totally wearable warm vest!

I've been knitting a bit here and a bit there, including on the patio at Panera's, while waiting for my mammogram, before the Memorial Day parade, near our backyard campfire, etc. I'm following the Lacy Baktus pattern with lace edge mod by CheryKnits. I can't get the pattern in my head, but I made a small printout of the 8-row chart that I need and pinned it to my work, as I like to do, so it's a perfect take-along project.

I gave a ton of stuff away yesterday and am feeling excellent about it. More on its way out today, including a bunch to a new homeschooling family whose mom I know from wayyyyy back in my La Leche League days. Meanwhile, incoming yesterday was a beautiful skein of yarn, handspun by our friend Jen, from roving dyed by our friend Kris, in exchange for use of our bike rack on Jen's trip to the Cape last weekend. Woo Hoo for pretty handspun! Reservations made this morning for Spa Knit and Spin 2011. Farmers' market season starts tomorrow, so lots of excitement (and incredible aromas) in the air around here!
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

More room pics? Piper and I started our blessedly less involved project. We're leaving the walls in place for now. LOL. She's opted for stripes in lots of colors on the paneled wall.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I like the lacey baktus. I made a garter stitch one and I like it. What a great stash buster!

Room renovation/organization must be going around. Nicole asked if we could help her organize her room this weekend.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

HAH AHAAAA! This would put my hubby into the loony bin. He starts out in a cold sweat when I begin to bring home paint samples. I can't wait to see the final project. Whoo hooooo!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home