Saturday, May 01, 2010

zippy

The Goob likes this sewing thing. She likes that it's zippy and adaptable. From my perspective, it's like magic because she prefers to figure it out all on her own (with or without a pattern, which she'll buy, with babysitting money, by tagging along with Scott on bakery deliveries and being dropped off at the fabric store near one of his accounts) and only occasionally pops into my office to rummage through the fabric stash, but then she shows up with nearly finished garments that surprise me.


She made this top one afternoon before vacation. I remember she bought the fabric at the CT Sheep and Wool Festival last year or the year before. She tells me she bought a pattern, but only used it for the shape and size of pieces, not following the instructions for sewing, so she still has much to learn/discover about construction, facings, etc., but she came up with a perfectly usable handmade top in an afternoon. The bottom edge has yet to be hemmed, but that didn't stop her from happily wearing it in Florida and feelin' fine!
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

It looks great! I like the placement of the flowers on the lower part of the shirt.

6:42 AM  
Blogger J said...

Debbie: Here is a site for a pattern that Leah might like for a skirt pattern http://pbtex.com/MARC_skirt_rayon.pdf
I think it is a great looking skirt that I would like to make--just have to clean up so that I can get to the sewing machine.
Jean

8:48 AM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

Lovely. Leah has natural talent. Happy she feels confident enough to tackle projects and to improvise. Fantastic!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

A beautiful top! I love seeing all of the things your daughter has been creating lately. It gives me a peek into the future for my own children.

Glad your family was able to get away on vacation together!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Look at the talent that kid has! Great colors on the shirt. Purples - my favorite!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home