Monday, May 17, 2010

temari

Among the things that came back home with me when we cleaned out my Gram's apartment is a few temari that I made years ago.

I never got too far involved in making these, but the ones I did were fun to try, especially if you happen to have some embroidery/cross stitch leftovers tucked away somewhere, as I do. I made some that are as small as a large marble and others about the size of a baseball.

It's been a long time since I looked at any temari info, but one site that was pretty comprehensive is Temari Kai. There were a few temari books around at that time, many more available now! I wish temari had a practical use, as I might make some more then, but for now, these will get tucked away to hang from the Christmas tree, their function simply to be pretty.

Have any of you ever made temari? What other obscure arts/crafts have you dabbled in?
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Anonymous CTJen said...

I had never heard of temari before now. How pretty they are! :-)

6:18 PM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

Wow I can't believe you have tried that. I have had a Tamari book on my Amazon wish list for two years and just this month was looking at the wish list and went to read free websites about it. I have a lot of unused embroidery floss and also many colors of thread here and was looking for something fun to do with it. There are many online photo galleries of temari which are so gorgeous!

I should have known if it's fiber related, you've tried it!

I have not knitted in months. I just knitted a gauge swatch for socks with some sock yarn and #2 needles. I found it hard to deal with after using much larger needles and bulky yarn. But now that I'm out of practice with knitting the fine yarn and small needles seem just fine. Yay.

I am so itching to knit!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I love the look of Tamari, but haven't done it because of the whole non-practicality thing. Although making them as Christmas ornaments is tempting... Yours are SO gorgeous.

Obscure arts? Hmm....well fine arts? I was a semi-professional pantomime for a while... (I do not joke.)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I learned Temari while vacationing in Naples, FL one year. I had to go and get all the materials to while away time while my husband was in conference meetings. Wish I had the desire to make more, but knitting is the craft now.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home