Saturday, July 11, 2009

a fail

But first, a celebration of success! Leah and about a dozen knitterfriends are making good progress on their swallowtail shawl knitalong. They're at various stages of completion, but all moving along nicely.

Leah is nearing the end of the main body repeats and will move into the lily of the valley lace pattern soon. So many beautiful yarns being used, in different weights so the finished objects will range from shoulder shawl size to a big, warm wrap. Some are subbing beads for nupps and Leah is thinking about doing this because she's a little bit short in yardage needed and beads will help conserve yarn while also adding a little sparkle.

Now, the fail portion of this entry, that would be all mine. I swatched, I calculated gauge, I cast on as indicated. Then I looked at what I had, stretched it out on the needle, and thought, "nah, that's not enough." Then I cast on 20 more stitches.

Yes, those would be the 20 more stitches you see here, having overshot their intended boundary. D'oh! Let's try this again.

Did I tell you about the neck of Scott's gansey, which was too small to get over his head? Trying that again too.

And the pair of socks where one has significantly fewer stitches than the other? Re-knit to come.

Is it any wonder that I feel like I'm not making any progress on my projects lately?!

--- p.s. If you or anybody you know just happens to make blueberry muffins, adding some orange zest will elevate them from good to EXCELLENT. Just sayin'. :-)
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Ugh, I know how you feel. I'm starting Jane (the sweater in Custom Knits) for the fourth time. FOURTH! I don't know if I'm persistent or stupid!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Using Ceylon cinnamon in those blueberry muffins, along with the orange zest could just nudge them a little futher.

I know it does wonders in blueberry buckle which uses lemon zest. Hmm. I have a pint of blueberries downstairs.

9:09 AM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

Oh! Hang in there with the re-knitting.

I'm happily doing simple knitting as I don't have the brain power for learning anything new.

Right now I've adapted the Booga Bag pattern to increase overall size x50%. I'm using colors I bought a full year ago to custom design a striped bag with about 5 solid colors and one variagated color. Makes me happy to work on this.

Am contemplating whether I dare take this light colored project to a week of Boy Scout camp. The idea of nothing to do while sitting around a lot is killing me. And reading is not always an option.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie:

If that is "the secret", while reading other completed projects on Ravelry, some did reduce the number of stitches because of size.

Jean/Bridgewater

7:08 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Z. said...

Blueberry muffinds with orange zest? yumm. Blueberries in the yard are just beginning to blush blue. I've long made blueberry muffins with lemon zest, which is wonderful, too.

I'm wondering, are you perhaps swatching at a looser gauge then you're knitting? Usually, knitters relax and their gauge gets bigger. But I've found the opposite recently; I think it has to to do with the sexy knitter muscles in my hand. . . Gotten very strong after so many years at the needles.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home