Tuesday, January 23, 2007

twinkletoes



Leah finished knitting her own ballet-like slippers yesterday. They're the Twinkletoes pattern from Knitty, made with Rowan's "soft baby" yarn. This project represents a turning point for this 8-year-old knitter, as it was here that she learned to read a pattern on her own and figure out new stitches and techniques based on written descriptions and video, such as at KnittingHelp.com. She managed to learn provisional cast-on, wrap & turn, left- and right-leaning lifted increase, cable cast-on, decrease bind off, and p2tog tbl! There are some spots where she has a loose stitch or didn't quite catch the wrap when she needed to knit a stitch with its w&t wrap, and the laces on one are quite a bit shorter than the other (she loosened up the cable cast-on for the 2nd slipper to make it easier to work and also to make the laces longer), but she learned lots along the way and is tickled pink by these pink twinkletoes.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Great job, Leah! Very cute slippers.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I am oh, so impressed. Brava! I may have to download that one for DD#1. She'll have to work hard to keep up with Leah, though.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Chloe Sparkle said...

Those are awesome, Leah! You do me proud!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Come and Share a Cup of Tea said...

so glad yours are done, I haven't even gotten up to the heel on mine. I'm hoping to finish them soon.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Anita P. said...

Keep on knitting young Leah, you rox with your needles! (I think that is what young English speakers would say meaning you are a brilliant knitter)

Your Pink Twinkletoes are just full of grace, congratulations!

Just like for you all those stitches are new to me. I still need to learn how to p2tog tbl to finish my first slipper, wish me luck.

My name is Anita a 27-years-old knitter from Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Leah, sorry my English, please.

Best regards for you and your mom

Anita

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home