Sunday, January 07, 2007

I'll make you a deal

The scene: Dad out of house on a secret mission. 12-year-old Boy asks Mom to play Xbox with him, knowing full well that peacemonger Mom has simply not discovered the joy that awaits her in those cheerful, loving shoot-em-up games.

Mom, who knows full well that Boy has not discovered the joy that awaits him when using 2 pointy sticks and string: "You want me to play Xbox? I want you to learn to knit. I'll make you a deal. I'll show you how to knit. You knit a few rows and I'll play Xbox with you for five minutes. For every few rows more, I'll play another 5 minutes."

Boy, with gleam in eye: "Deal."
Scene: A little while later, a few minutes into Xbox game.

Mom, who is prone to motion sickness: "Wow, these graphics move fast. It's making me dizzy. Yes, I see the machine gun over there. No, really. It's really making me dizzy. I can't do this. I'm going to puke."

Boy: "Heh heh...Do I still get to play?"

Mom: "Yeah. I need air."

Scene: Mom exits. A while later, Mom comes into living room to discover Boy on couch, knitting.

Mom: "You know I can't play that game with you, so this doesn't get you more video game time."

Boy: "Yeah, I know. But this is kind of fun. Hey, help, did I drop a stitch here? Is it true there are only two kinds of stitches to learn and I already know one of them?"

Mom: "You bet. It's all just knit and purl."

Boy: "Cool. Do you think I could make a hat?"

Mom: "Absolutely!" Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have just as much interest in the X-Box as I do! I think I see a hat in Jesse's future...........

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny. I tried to just watch DD#3 play Sponge Bob and got seasick. Hockeyboy has knit several hats out of camoflage yarn. He doesn't knit much anymore but it was quite the obsession for awhile.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priceless.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Terrific! I'll have to pass this on to our son (who is currently knitting himself a hat).

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home