Tuesday, January 23, 2007

and back in the yarn department


Oh, we've been a'stitchin' and we've been a'turnin' and we've been choosing upholstery fabric and all that good stuff, but behind the scenes there's still that yarn obsession going on. So it's no surprise that when Lori tagged me for a meme, it's all about the knitting. The meme goes like this:

Find the nearest book
Open to page 123
Type lines 6-8 of said book
Tag three others

(I won't tag others, but I will otherwise play along.)

The nearest book is Jackie Fee's Sweater Workshop, which has helped me concoct patterns for the last three or four sweaters I've worked on.

"Work the sequence in two colors, or as many as will fit into a sweater. Work a
purl round, leaving the sequence in between as stockinette. Work the sequence in
reverse for a yoke."

This section of the book is called Inspiration Abounds. It gives some ideas for pleasing patterns and design ideas, and helps open your eyes to more all around us. It also talks about the Golden Mean and the Fibonacci Sequence, both of which were also discussed in the box turning workshop last weekend.

Anyway, this book is front and center because there's a whole lot of knitting going on here. Both sleeves are bound off and I'm working on the neckline shaping of Leah's sweater. Since I'm making it up as I go along and that requires a little concentration, I decided to start a simple cardigan for myself so I'd have something easy to work on during a knitfest with some of my favorite peeps on Sunday. Again I'm using the Sweater Workshop to work up the pattern. The only enhancement to this otherwise plain stockinette cardigan is a picot edge, as shown on Purlwise. I'm using the yarn Scott spun from a merino and tencel blend. He used three different batts and I was hoping it would blend to give sort of a watercolor effect...and it does. :-) As a nice change of pace, this somewhat thick yarn is working up FAST. I cast on Saturday evening and expect to finish the first sleeve today or tomorrow. That's cool because I can't wait to wear this yummy soft sweater.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home