Monday, January 01, 2007

following our bliss into 2007

On this first day of 2007, I'm catching up on showing a few finished objects from 2006.
First is a pen I made for my mom at Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking. It's Honduran rosewood and was my first attempt at using a lathe, which is so much fun that I then took another workshop and am registered for another.


Next is an amulet bag I made for my grandma. Gram saw one of these, made by another participant in the weekend spin-ins, when we were at Adams Family Farm last New Year's Eve. She almost bought it then and said afterwards that she really wished she had, so I poked around and found that our library had Bead Knitted Pendant Bags and The Rainey Sisters also had a pattern on their site (although I don't see it there anymore). Then I called around to find size 0000 needles and found them at Creative Fibers. Size 0000 needles are about the same diameter as the wire of a large paper clip. It took a while for my hands to get used to working on such a fine scale, but the knitting itself was easy. I used one of Scott's beads that I think works well with the bag. It's a clear lentil with raku swirl, so it has bit of rust and teal. I took the second pic to show size of the finished bag. These things feel fantastic, with the texture and coolness and weight of the beads.



Last is a picture of the yummy cake we all enjoyed last night, made by one of Leah's friends (possibly with a teensy bit of help from her mom). We celebrated New Year's Eve with friends in what started as a plan to get together for appetizers and evolved into a feast and hobby fest. There was origami and spinning and knitting and sheared punched rugmaking and lampwork and felting and K'nex building and video game playing and beadazzling and dancing and....yahoo! Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool, from lathes to knitting with paperclips (so to speak)! Does the talent ever end at your house? I love the amulet bag. It's lovely.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home