Friday, December 22, 2006

I can't believe it has come to this

Reminder: The subject of this post is a Super Secret Xmas Surprise for Zach. Please help us keep the secret by not discussing in Z's vicinity!

Yes, indeed, I have sunk to a new low. I always thought dressing dogs in sweaters and coats was dumb, but I guess that's because I have a Very Big and Furry Dog. But then this adorable little foster pup entered our lives and we fell in love with him and then we noticed that he shivers like crazy when he's outside in the cold. So what's a crafty gal to do? Fashion him a coat of hand-felted wool, of course! We used this free pattern as a guide, making a prototype out of some scrap fabric and modifying size/shape to fit the little Squirt. Still needs some modifications and who knows how practical it will really be, but it will definitely keep his skinny little bod warm.

Since a few people have asked, I suppose I should point out that, yes, it will be able to go into the wash. This is wool that's already been shrunk and felted, so the washing machine is fine for it. I have a big sheet of this felt, so if he ends up wearing a coat on a regular basis, his permanent family can always make some more of them for him to wear while one's in the wash.

The very first time we took him out in his coat, the first person we met was a nice woman whose Italian Greyhound was wearing a sweater. She gushed about how pretty the Squirt's coat is, wanted to know where we got it, and how she could get (make) one of her own. She'll be coming over soon for an evening of feltmaking. We learned that she used to make lampwork beads, so I'm very much looking forward to getting to know her better. :-) So apparently we're not the only family wrapped around someone's furry little paw and I guess that's not such a bad place to be. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger DesertGirl said...

Oh, you are onto another business adventure.. I can just tell!

We have a little Shih Tzu who would LOVE a little knitted, felted, soft sweater-y type thing.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! So sweet and functional. Hope the Z has the best Christmas ever, since I suspect giving this little guy up is going to be tough. Seeing Z's joy will make it worthwhile.

7:08 AM  
Blogger April said...

Wrapped around a furry little paw is not so bad a place to be. lol. Ask me how I know....it's been a 14 year wrapping here so far! (ummm but no coats for mine as they are much hairier than Squirt is. lol But Squirt is very cute and pushing all my motherly instinct buttons!)

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home