Wednesday, July 21, 2010

textile design workshop

Leah spent 3 days last week in a textile design for teens workshop. As expected, she was in her element! It was a small group with an enthusiastic and knowledgeable teacher who had plenty of ideas and was open to experimentation. The fabric samples Leah made included techniques such as tie dyeing, shibori, block printing, and screen printing.

Each participant also got to make a tote bag using their favorite techniques. Leah was pretty fond of the sponge blocks she cut for block printing.

They also painted silk scarves, which were wrapped, scrunched, and tied around PVC pipes.


Hard to believe there are only two dye colors in this scarf!
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Anonymous amy said...

Those are great! I just got the RISD continuing ed catalog for fall. Every semester I drool over at least one class--this semester it's a jewelry design class--but I have to wait until I'm done nursing these darn kids. I wish I had the opportunity to explore some of these things when I was Leah's age!

2:16 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Beautiful work Leah! I like your colors.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous random Cindy said...

Great stuff Leah! I'm jealous, sounds like a really fun class.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I love the colors on that scarf. Looks like it was a fun class!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

So pretty - all of it! What a gorgeous scarf and she wears it well.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home