Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I can haz sitches

Now that Gram has received the cardinal woodland shawl I made to keep her warm this winter, it's not a secret anymore and I can post a picture here.
It was knit with three laceweight yarn strands, one strand of Army green coned wool ($1 at Goodwill) and two strands of forest green wool ($1/skein at the weavers' guild yarn tag sale), to produce a heathered worsted weight yarn that softened and bloomed nicely upon washing. Since I still had a bunch of this yarn left over and have been wanting to knit myself a sweater (after the last four were for other family members), I decided to stick with it and take advantage of the predictable lull in the workload this week.


I had been considering the Susie Hoodie, but I'm not fond of that point at the back lower edge, so I decided to just wing it, pulling bits from here and there, putting them together to see what happens. I cast on a cabled panel with provisional cast-on, using the chart from A Cardigan for Arwen. When that was long enough to go around my wrist, I kitchenered the ends and picked up stitches from a long edge, knitting up from there to make a sleeve.

A day or so later, the sleeve is up to underarm length. Not sure how I want to handle shoulder construction, so I'll figure that out later and cast on for the second sleeve later today. Meanwhile, since there's no identifying information on any of this yarn, minimal chance of getting more if I need it, and I have no idea of yardage, I weighed the sleeve to estimate how many grams I'd need for the remainder of the sweater. Seems like I'll have more than enough, so fingers crossed and forward we go!

---

Y'all know I type for a living, right? Well, believe me, a transcriptionist understands that typos happen, even to the best of us, and there are informal situations where it doesn't even matter, but some things are not just isolated boo-boos in a quickly written note and they make me cringe. So when Leah bought some Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted for the felted stained glass fan bag she made (which is on an airplane to Florida at this very moment) and left one of the skeins on my desk, something on the label caught my eye. I blinked and looked again.

4-1/2 sitches per inch? Sitches? Where the heck is the first T?! One of the top 10 yarns on Ravelry, in over 19,000 projects and over 11,000 stashes, and nobody in the company noticed or, worse, nobody cares?

Ack!! :::transcriptionist's brain goes kaboom!:::

Oh, there are a few other typos on the label too, but none so screamingly cringe-worthy as sitches. I breathed deeply and tried to let it go. Really, I did. But in the end, I couldn't. I thought maybe nobody had noticed and thought certainly they would care, so I submitted a gentle message through their site. It's been many days since then, with not even so much as an acknowledgement of my helpful volunteer editing. I'm telling myself they must be very busy with holiday/year-end activities to not even respond to customer feedback because certainly they'd care, right? Right?! Spell checkers are our friends! Good grammar for all!! RIGHT?!

:::sigh::: Time for a walk in the woods. :-)
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Anonymous amy said...

I think that shawl is wonderful, with the cardinal right on it like that. Love cardinals.

I notice misspelled words all the time, too. And "it's" switched with "its." I noticed that one in the booklet that came with my son's prism that was in his stocking. I'm going to have to email the company. Honestly. They're marketing to kids, who will never learn proper punctuation if they see incorrect punctuation everywhere. It aggravates me to no end.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Cécile said...

That shawl is beautiful, and I love the green sweater or what I see of it. I too design for the yarn I have and as I go. It sounds like your sweater will turn out well. I want to see the finished product.

Happy New Year!

11:00 AM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

What an amazing shawl!

LOL on the typo. Can't believe that got through!!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

I look at the word and fail to see the mistake. Isn't that odd. I mean, letter by letter, I can see they left out the crucial T, but when I read the label - even when I read your typed words, my brain doesn't see it. Strange.

That shawl is unbelievably cool. I want one so bad. I just don't have it in me. She must have been so tickled!!! What a wonderful, creative gift.

As for the sweater - you definitely know how to fly by the seat of your hand-knit pants!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Mommabaush said...

I am an incorrigible proofreader myself and it's (apostrophe in the right place)so gratifying to know I'm not alone in the world -- although I'm alone in mine!

I also just completed two Woodland Trails cowls and love the stitch pattern. Looks like that's what you used in your shawl. Love it!
Mommabaush

9:51 AM  
Blogger J said...

I finally remembered to check my Lambs Pride yarn labels and only found the error on one label. Some of my yarn goes back a couple of years when Stephanie was working at a yarn shop.

Jean

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home