Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Houston, we have a problem

Or do we?

You may remember the Estonian Garden Wrap that appeared out of nowhere, entirely pleasant project that it is. Well, I have two skeins of this lovely Woolen Rabbit handpainted yarn and am pretty sure the wrap will be the right size (long enough that I can wrap it once around my neck and ends hang to waist if I want to use it as a big, beautiful scarf) if I use every last bit of those two skeins. This means the transition from one skein to the next happens at the mid-point, which will be front and center on the wearer's neck. But there's a significant difference in depth of color from one skein to the next, even though I tried my hardest to choose similar ones when I bought them last February.

Overexposed pic in the bright winter sunshine,
but you get the idea.
The shift is no less jarring in real life.

I've seen the suggestion of alternating skeins every other row to make the transition less abrupt, but that made it stripey, so I only did it once. I kept knitting for a while, thinking it would mellow out, but no.

I have asked people's opinions around here, but I need more input and so I turn to you, dear blog readers, for a poll, because I know you'll be straight with me and tell it like it is. When answering, please keep in mind that I have enjoyed every stitch of this project and would love to see it through to completion, but would not mind even a wee little bit if it needs to be ripped back some or all of the way. Really. Truly. Cross my heart.

So, what say you? (if you're reading this through a blog aggregator, click through to my blog to vote)

What's next for this Estonian Garden Wrap?
Just quit yer fussin' and keep knitting. It's handpainted yarn, you knucklehead, so embrace the variations.
Tear back to the transition and try knitting from the other end of the 2nd skein, as it may be darker there.
That yarn wants to be something else. Tear the whole thing back and work on your green sweater until the Philosopher's Wool cardigan kit arrives. :-)
I'll describe a different solution in the comments.
.

I just rec'd a message that the poll isn't working for somebody, but it has worked for a couple of other people so far, so I'll leave it up here. If it doesn't work for you, could you please just leave a comment instead? Thanks!
Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

Blogger ruth said...

Ah, I've had this problem myself a couple of times. I have in the past kept on knitting and have scarves with two different halves.

The other potentially better solution that occurs to me is as follows: Rip back half of what you have done, cut the yarn, start the second skein, knit it all the way past the middle of the wrap to the last quarter, then switch back to the first skein. This should give you "borders" in the deeper color with no jarring right in the middle.

That is if you don't mind having a transition like this somewhere in the shawl.

Good luck with your decision. It's looking gorgeous!

Ruth (Smoothie on Rav)

3:40 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

PS - your poll doesn't work for me. I get a message "can't find the server at poll.learnmyself.com".

3:42 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

What Ruth said.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous random Cindy said...

Won't the transition end up being behind the wearer's neck anyway?

If not, what Ruth said, or you could find a different yarn to make a stripe in between and then add a bit to each end as well. This would serve to separate the handpaints and without being side by side the difference is likely to be unnoticeable. Chevreul's Law, you know?

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb. Cause you asked I'm going to be honest with you and say I don't think you'll ever be happy with the color difference. I think your "inner" knitters voice is talking to you and you should listen, lol. I speak from experience girl. It's a beautiful wrap and the right yarn for it will come along. Good luck with your decision. Your a talented knitter Deb. I always enjoy your blog.
Debbie Rondinelli

6:42 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

well, I like what Ruth suggests, as well as choice # 3 on the poll, except I would really pull out the other end of the skein and make sure the yarn was darker there before knitting with that end. What I am most impressed at is your willingness to frog back and knit that much again - I think I would just be a puddle thinking about that much frogging.

Liz (LTknits on ravelry)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

also have ran into this before. Well.... if it annoys the heck out of you now it prob will later as well. But it is handdyed yarn, and a hand knit item so, you could just embrace the variations, i think that is what i would do and continue knitting!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

The trials and tribs of knitting. I voted for the first one. I say take a deep breath and keep going. I think it's going to turn out lovely!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

9:50 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

You could try overdying it to even out the color.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home