Monday, October 05, 2009

Indian summer

This, my friends, is why pumpkins are a perfectly reasonable stand-in for modeling baby hats. This sweet cutie patootie was not at all pleased to be modeling the Cisco hat I knit for a friend's daughter. It was too big on her, too warm in the sunshine, and there were places to go and people to see! Also, she was totally conked out within 10 minutes of browsing the market on her mom's back, so perhaps my timing wasn't the best.

Regardless, I learned that my I-cord ties are long enough to be tied, without being overly long, so mission accomplished. BTW, I knit this with Brooklyn Tweed's modifications. I don't think I've ever knit I-cord before and I've definitely never done applied I-cord, so that was fun to learn. Easy and spiffy.

Yesterday started out as rainy as the day before, but by the time the farmers' market started, it was a beautiful day. The farmers had lots of great stuff to offer and the live music was perfect. Banjo, mandolin, bright blue sky, warm sunshine, squash bisque, mums! We did plenty of bartering for yummy stuff -- salsa and guac, cabbage, lettuce, assorted squashes, fudge, veggie samosas, kettle corn. I love it when the other vendors come by to make a swap offering so they can get a dozen of their favorite cookies. :-)

As always, plenty of yarny goodness and knitters around, and even a friendly llama. A new knitter sat down next to me, having just recently learned how to knit with the help of telephone consults from her knitter-friend in Texas. Hopefully we'll see her again next weekend!

I finished a pair of socks for Leah. Mindless 2x2 rib, toe-up w/ Widdershins gusset. It's yer basic Opal yarn, except what's with the 2 ft. of GREEN dye found partway through the skein? Only on one strand and no other problems with the skein. I know Opal wears like iron, so I just broke off that scrap of misplaced color and kept knitting. And suddenly I'm back down to only one thing on the needles again. Heh.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

Looks like you're having a lovely fall. Beautiful colors in this post. So was Leah satisfied with your baby model? Or will you have to find a smiling specimen now?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

Nothing like a good old pair of socks to top off your day.

ADORABLE hat photo!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Cindy said...

Lovely pictures as always. You must be feeling better! I like the colorway you chose for that hat pattern. I would not have thought it was cute if I had seen the rainbow version first, lol. Leah is amazing. I hope my kids have that kind of enthusiastic confidence as they get older.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home