Friday, September 18, 2009

a gansey, eventually

Started last Feb. with yarn scored in a stash swap. Knit 2 strands together throughout. Slogged through all that stockinette at the bottom. There's mindless social knitting and then there's I'm-so-bored-I-could-poke-my-eyes-out-for-entertainment endless stockinette. Note: Future ganseys will have some sort of pattern on the bottom portions too.

Made my way to the top, where all went surprisingly well. Learned the stretchy tubular bind-off because sweater necks rarely work out for me, only to find the head opening this time was too small. Put the whole thing in time-out for the summer.

Ripped out the neck and did it again -- entirely the same except for staying wth the same needle size as the body, so the neck turned out a little bigger. Tubular bind-off is okay with me after all.

Scoured the yarn, which then softened and bloomed considerably. Blocked to match size of Scott's favorite sweater.

Then it sat again for weeks, while he was sick, then the kids were sick, and now I'm sick (yes, still. yes, it's getting old. yes, I saw the doctor again today. yes, new meds to start later today). I did manage to help Scott get the bakery booth set up for a farmers' market yesterday, though, and it was cool out, so I brought the sweater along for a couple of quick photos.


And then I came home and took a nap.

Pattern: Old Way Gansey from Interweave Knits, although I think I got it from a library book, with help of Knitting In the Old Way or Knitting Ganseys or something like that. I think it was a mash-up of all of the above. Hydrocodone cough syrup brain is not good for long-term recall. And who really cares at this point anyway, right?

Yarn: Mystery coned tweed wool from Jen's stash

For: Scott, with specific request for saddle shoulders and seed stitch. The boy likes his seed stitch. :-)

Verdict: The sleeves are little too long, but otherwise two thumbs up.

And now I think I need another nap. Sheesh.
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger ChristineMM said...

Rest up!

Thanks for sharing the story.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Delaney's Duds said...

yeah, you are all going to need rest to gear up for Sunday!
Great sweater! I love how Scott knows exactly what he wants in a sweater. First, Terror Fish, now this! very specific requirements - I love it! I wish I had as much direction.

2:31 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

It's beautiful. A classic that will last a good long time.

I hope you feel better soon. Eat an orange.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous CTJen said...

it looks fabulous on him!

I hope you feel better soon.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home