Wednesday, December 17, 2008

FO: edelweiss mittens

It all started back when my Gram gave me a bag of wool that's been marinating in her cedar chest for years. Then it came here and marinated for a while longer. Then we dyed some of it with Kool-Aid.
When Rosie's Yarn Cellar blogged about a new free pattern for Edelweiss mittens, I grabbed three colors and cast on the same day. Yes, it was nearly July, but I wanted to start mittens that very day! The pattern is well written but took some concentration, so I only worked on them when the time was right.

They have wonderfully long cuffs, each mitten measuring something like 17 inches in length (knit on size 1 needles), a perfectly welcome feature when those winter winds coming whipping. I've been adding a few inches of twisted cord on the end of each mitten/glove I make, so they can be tied into a pair when they go into our winter wear box, or can be tied together through a buttonhole on a coat so they don't get lost. I think the only modification I made on purpose was to stop short so they're a little more rounded at the tips.
Notice how I said the above modification was on purpose? That's because I also made an unintentional modification, a single cream colored stitch where one absolutely does not belong. At first, I couldn't believe I made such a mistake and didn't notice it for many rows. I planned to eventually snip it, pick it out, and replace with a stitch the correct color, but I didn't. You can see it in the pic above, in the right hand mitten (that's tilted w/ top to the left), a single cream stitch in between the two cream-colored motif centers. No doubt about it: Made by hand, boo-boos and all, and that's okay with me.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Turtle said...

so beautiful! and i love the colors as well!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Taylin said...

If you wanted to fix the white stitch easily, you could always sew a fake stitch over it in the correct color. Otherwise, they look great!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

You know how long it took me to find that stitch? that's what's so great about hand made items. they are not perfect.

They look so prettyyyyyy!

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home