Sunday, December 14, 2008


In May, I started a sweater for Jesse, based on the Durrow design. I used mystery wool, 4 cones obtained for a grand total of $8 at a weaving group's yarn tag sale in the spring. (They're the four brown cones to the left of the red skeins in the first pic of this post.) I knitted 2 strands at a time because the yarn is fairly thin, but thank heavens I washed and blocked my swatch, as it bloomed tremendously with a good washing -- softened, fluffed up, changed from rough to wonderful. The yarn might appear to be a solid brown in these pictures, but there are tweedy flecks of red and green mixed in there too. Jesse wasn't too fond of the cable in the original Durrow, so we switched to the Genesis Hall cable pattern chosen from Vogue's cable Stitchionary and I knit all in the round.
Made the sleeves and body longer than called for in the pattern, to accommodate Jesse's height, and added some short rows so the back wouldn't ride up. I had never done a saddle shoulder before and the instructions as written didn't work out for his build. After tearing back to underarms, I added even more inches to the body and sleeves, then subbed in Elizabeth Zimmermann's saddle shoulder guidelines, which worked beautifully. I just love how the cables carry up the arms and across the shoulders. Believe it or not, I didn't tap into the 3rd and 4th cones of yarn until well into the yoke/saddle shoulder -- AMAZING how much yarn is wound onto those cones.
After a couple of good soaks in hot water and detergent, a spin-out of the excess water in the washing machine, and a few good thwacks to fluff up that yarn, we had a finished sweater met with greath enthusiasm on all sides. Jesse was perfectly cozy in it, combined with his beloved Habitat hat, for our Christmas tree hunt yesterday.

In the end, the only bit of the original Durrow pattern that remained is the 4x2 ribbing that makes up the body and non-cabled portion of the sleeves. :-) So a dash of Durrow mixed with a hefty scoop of personal tweaks and a heaping helping of Eliz. Zimmermann's guidance, simmered for a few months with lots of other projects mixed in, resulted in one very pleased young man and a mom who was happy to oblige.
Posted by Picasa


Blogger amy said...

Oh, it's beautiful!! In, er, a manly way of course. :-) The yarn looks so warm and comfortable. Wonderful job!! (And what a willing model you have for a teenaged boy! I'm impressed!)

10:08 AM  
Anonymous CTJen said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous

nice job. :-)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Delaney's Duds said...

very nice, deb. you must be so proud. Jessie looks great in all that cably goodness!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

That came out great Debbie. And how grown up Jesse looks now....

3:48 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

it is beautiful! and what agreat price on the yarn as well!

9:25 PM  
Blogger thinggtwoo said...

That Is GORGEOUS!!!! Well Done, Debbie!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

The sweater came out beautifully! Totally worth the extra effort, I think, with a turn out like that. Very nice.

1:52 PM  
Blogger CraftyCarole said...

it is goregoeus as is the hat... have to say I'm a tad jealous about the steal on the yarn (in a good way of course)

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home