Wednesday, August 27, 2008

when left to my own devices

My plans for yesterday evening fell through, but with too short notice for me to invite somebody else over :-(, so it ended up being a good time to dive into a project that had been percolating in my head for the day :-). Sure do wish the camera was here, instead of at the Cape, so I could show you guys the results, although the project is not finished yet, so I guess that's just as well. I made a cover for my water bottle, so it'll stay cold longer and the condensation won't drip all over the place. I used the leftover piece of handmade felt that remains after this wall hanging was turned into two dog coats, the first of which is here. The comets and shooting stars of the top right portion of the wall hanging are now my water bottle cover. It fits snugly and will have a drawstring top. I still need to decide what sort of strap to make for it, but I'm leaning toward making felted beads in many colors and stringing them all together.

Otherwise, it appears that I'm learning to spin better. By the time the family (and camera) arrive home from the Cape, I should have three 4-oz. handspun skeins to show you and, whoa, what a clear illustration of my progress! I'm working on a merino/tencel blend now. It's spinning up beautifully, quite fine and fairly consistent, considering I'm still a newbie at the wheel.

When flipping through a local magazine yesterday, I saw an ultra simple nuno felted scarf that's being sold for an ultra inflated price. I've been itching to do some more feltmaking lately, so I dug through my fabrics and pulled out the chiffons and silks. Need to not spin all the rovings up so there's some available for felting! There's a definite chill in the air lately, so it seems a good time to make some nuno felted scarves and a few new rounds of soap for the upcoming season, since some of my orders have started to come in. Can't wait to see what comes of it all...

1 Comments:

Blogger Delaney's Duds said...

can't wait to see the results!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home