Thursday, July 31, 2008

the difficulty with scarves

It appears that this summer, my knitting is all about the scarves. This is all fine and well, as they're easy to take along to the bazillion fantastic events and work on while my attention is elsewhere, but they make very poor blog fodder. They're like the Energizer bunny; they just keep going and going. I'm probably 3/4 of the way through the scarf I was working on in Vermont, but a picture now wouldn't look much different that it did then, so instead of sharing a picture of the knitting, I'll share some pictures of places where the scarf was knat upon last weekend.

First, summer Shakespeare. Again! The weather allowed us to see two of three shows we planned for the weekend (chosen from at least five offered at different venues around the state!), Merchant of Venice and Much Ado About Nothing. We've seen the latter group of performers in the past and absolutely adore their riotous shows.
Met up with friends for a visit to a colonial encampment and farmers' market with friends on Sunday morning. Learned some interesting trivia while touring the Nathan Hale Homestead and couldn't help but notice the huge walking wheel and hand cards in a sparsely furnished room.

Leah and I participated in a customers' favorites trunk show at Creative Fibers on Sunday afternoon. A group of us brought our favorite projects for a show and tell about the pattern, the yarn, the challenges, the results. Visitors to the store during the afternoon each voted on their favorite. I entered my Garden Patch cardigan and handpainted gloves. Leah entered her Seven Sisters cabled mitts, wrap cardigan, and Imagine hat. We enjoyed the afternoon of hanging with knitters and one guy who visited the store with his family even commissioned Leah to knit him an Imagine hat, so she was thrilled!

Didn't make it to the third Shakespeare show of the weekend because of rain (upon snagging that link, I just noticed they had an indoor alternative in case of bad weather -- oh well), but the timely offer of a cookout was a yummy substitute. Between the two performances and the ukulele group's singalong(!), I probably added 7" to the Rivolo scarf. It's not possible to knit during the ballroom dance classes Leah and I have been taking, but otherwise, thank heavens for a hobby (obsession!) that's flexible enough to fit into so many settings while we're otherwise engaged.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

I am so envious of the plethora of historical sites your family has access to. My, what a fun weekend.

And at least you're knitting something. I seem to have lost my knitting mojo somewhere this summer - maybe at the hockey rink or dance studio. Ugggh.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats neat that you went to the encampment. I wanted to go...but it was the morning after rerutning home from vaca at 11PM...and we had so many things we wanted to do. But Dennis and I toured the house a few weeks ago..and enjoyed it.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home