Thursday, November 08, 2007

Lady Eleanor's in rehab


This is the Lady Eleanor Stole from Scarf Style. It was my stealth knitting for a couple of weeks, but is no longer a secret because I gave it to my mom for her birthday yesterday. You may remember that she had a total knee replacement last week. The treatment for her resulting pulmonary emboli kicked in and they finally kicked her out of the hospital, so yesterday was her first full day of physical therapy in the rehab center. Wow, what a difference a day (with professional support and guidance) makes! She made huge strides, literally and figuratively, so there was definite reason to celebrate on this particular birthday, although in a very different way than usual.

The wrap is made from one colorway of Paton's Soy Wool Silk. I have always been curious about this technique, entrelac, which looks like woven strips of knitting but is actually all connected and knit in one solid piece from a variegated skein of yarn. So clever and way easier than it appears! My pic doesn't show the fringe very well, but that's a nice touch on this project. You can see a better shot of the fringe on another wrap here or in the 456 examples of it on Ravelry. I originally meant to learn to knit backward so I could eliminate the need for frequent turning while knitting this project, but I never did get around to it and the turning really didn't bother me after all. I'll still probably learn backward knitting sometime just because I'm curious about it.

Leah and I popped in at a knit night on the way home and had a thoroughly enjoyable time chatting and noshing with a bunch of knitters, spinners, dyers, and all-round friendly folks. What a refreshing way to round off another great day.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Gorgeous colors Deb! What a great job you did.

Me thinks I might have to give entrelac a try....

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie! It was so nice to meet you and Leah yesterday. She is adorable and I'm so impressed with her accomplishments!

Your Lady Eleanor is beautiful! I've seen that yarn in stores and really like it. I may have to borrow your yarn sub idea.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful, and very effective in a colorway that "self-stripes"...entrelac is "bad enough" without having to change colors for each diamond! :)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

What an awesome gift. I love how the colors play out in that pattern.

I enjoy entrelac but if you decide to learn backwards knitting, make sure you use the technique on the gauge swatch and do it all the way through the project. My gauge changes dramatically when I knit backwards, vs. purling back.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful stole!! That was one of my 2 favorite patterns (Ene's was the other one)in the book...I've yet to make it - Gorgeous!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home