Sunday, October 21, 2007

tis the season

This is a quickie because I am Not. At. Rhinebeck. and, even though it makes perfectly good sense for me not to be there, I'm just a wee bit pouty about it. As if I need more yarn and to burn a tank of gas to hang out with sheep. D'oh. Luckily, I can do the same thoroughly irrational things on a smaller (and closer) scale next weekend. :-)

Meanwhile, 'round here there's been sewing of the Halloween costume in time for yesterday's party...
and team weaving of Scott's handspun yarn with friend who was here for a sleepover. This and other similar woven triangles will be made into a shawl for Leah to wear in her role as the...wait for it...weaver in a play she'll be performing next month.
Leah has often asked how I learned to knit. I can't remember the first stitches exactly, but I was under 10 and I'm sure my mom or my Gram taught me. I remember the first things I knit were some little pumpkins.
Zayre's orange acrylic purchased on sale for $0.99/skein, a few garter stitch rows, a few stockinette rows to make the pumpkin sections, sewn up the back, stuffed and gathered top and bottom. Glued-on felt face. I made a bunch of them because they were small projects. See, I didn't know how to fix mistakes, so when I screwed up, I'd just throw it away or tear the whole thing out and start over. It was fun to be at my mom's to celebrate nephew Zach's b'day this week and notice one of those old pumpkins out among the decorations!



And that brings me to the end of today's post because there's a stealth UFO that's about to become a FO!
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great projects! the weaving is beautiful and the pumpkin adorable. That last grey wooly stealth one is intriguing.
I didn't go to Rhinebeck either - and it's only 3 hours from here - maybe next year...

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home