Saturday, October 06, 2007

bounty

I arrived home from a big work week late on Friday afternoon, tired but still with some work ahead of me, very much looking forward to recharging my batteries with a quiet evening at home. See, there's been an abundance of work available lately so, being a one-person operation and mostly responsible for supporting my family, I need to make hay while the sun shines. I was greeted by excited children who Could Not Wait to show me a surprise. This is the bounty they presented to me...




They weren't even sure what some of the items are, but when my mother-in-law stopped by this afternoon and brought a box of knitterly things from the estate of a friend who recently passed away, everybody here knew I'd be psyched. And I am! I don't use straight needles much, but am happy to have a stash of them to provide pair by pair to folks when we help them take their first stitches. There are tiny crochet hooks, steel sock needles, dollmaking needles, and hairpin lace sets (looms? U's?). I've never made hairpin lace, but always been curious about it, so maybe the time has come to give it a try. This led to discussion of broomstick lace, which is something one of my grandmas used to do and another thing I've always wanted to figure out. Even though my experience is that wrangling the steel cables of old circular knitting needles can sometimes be a challenge, as they seem to have a mind of their own, I get a kick out of the Mary Lamb envelopes they came in and have strained to see the date on the PAID stamp on the back of one of the envelopes. We can only see the tops of the numbers, but have narrowed it down to the 19-teens. I'll probably use those needles for a project just because they're pushing 100 years old.



Coolest little find in that stash is the baggie of these plastic row counters. The back layer of plastic has holes so you can pin them to your work. There never seem to be enough row counters around here and I've never seen any like this, so I'm tickled to have them. Easily amused? You bet.

After a few more hours of work at home to tackle what had been pushed aside during this week's work in a client's office, we had a family meeting to narrow down the bounty of great things to do this weekend, then I settled in for some work on my current stealth knitting project. I can't post a pic here because it's a gift for a reader of this blog, but I thought of a way to blog about it and still be sneaky. If you would like to see a picture and you are not my mother, send an email to livnletlrn at gmail dot com and I'll send you a link to it. I've learned new techniques with this project and am ga-ga over the results. And if I like it in its current state, I can only imagine how much more I'll like it when it's blocked flat and the finishing embellishments are added. Luckily, it's moving along quickly, so hopefully I won't have to wait long for the finished product. But my mom might. >:-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

So cool! I'm kind of curious to go through my Mom's stash of supplies now. Hmmmm!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home