Wednesday, February 28, 2007

hybrid

This happy girl is wearing a sweater that's a hybrid -- a little of this, a little of that, combined into something new.

The yarn is 2 strands of burgundy cotton reclaimed from a Goodwill sweater, as shown on the Neauveau Fiber Arts tutorial, combined with 1 strand of variegated tencel from Webs. The pattern stitch is the broken lace rib from Paige's Stitchionary, with picot edges learned from Purlwise.
I used Jackie Fee's Sweater Workshop to calculate the important pattern numbers. The sleeves were knit in the round and bound off at the top. The body was worked in the round with steeks for the sleeves and front, as learned from Philosopher's Wool and additional info from See Eunny Knit because I wasn't sure if the slick cotton/tencel would be okay for a steek. It is. :-)


This sweater packs up small, so it came with me as the traveling project in Paris-Belgium-Amsterdam-Luxembourg. The steeks were cut while I was in the middle of a room full of happy knitters and spinners at Spa weekend in Maine.

(As an aside, I was hanging with newbie spinaholic Bart when I cut the steeks and now look...you can find his smiling mug all over the internet. Doug is the guy who is standing in that picture. He is one of Bart's mentors. Doug's friend, Laura, is one of the kind people who helped untangle Jesse's yarn. Each one, teach one...and the beat goes on.)

Edited paragraph above to reflect that Laura and Doug are friends, not a married couple. Oops -- sorry, Laura and Doug!

Anyway, hybrid, yeah. I suppose all handknits and all other handmade projects are hybrids, blends of experience and techniques and resources and references all pulled together to form something new and different, but this one seems even more so for me because I think it's the first sweater I've made up really from scratch. I chose every single element, right down to the yarn combination, and it all came together and it fits (this year only, I think -- the Goob is growing fast!) and looks good and was a really satisfying knit and, best of all, she loves it.

2 Comments:

Blogger LauraJ said...

Doug and I are not married! Not even that kind of Good Friends! We dated for three+ years and came to hate one another. Unfortunately it turned out we couldn't despise one another properly because we have people and activities in common and now we are friends and I am his landlady, God help him. We each would not mind finding a hug-bunny, but I am not sure either of us could ever find better housemates (well, he might find someone who exploited him less, but I try to make it up to him with food and wine).

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hybrid cardigan is beautiful... the lace, the picot edge, the gorgeous combo yarn!
Lucky daughter!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home