Friday, February 04, 2011

antidote

Everything outside is white, gray, or brown, but Leah and I know that colorful projects are an antidote to the winter blues!


She dug out a bunch of yarns to do African flower hexagons. Because the yarns are of slightly varying weights, some are turning out bigger than others, so she's not sure if this project will go much further, but she's had fun playing with the color combos and the pattern anyway.


I was intrigued by the unspun silk mittens that the Yarn Harlot blogged about lately, so my perpetually frigid fingers dug out a bag of silk sliver to give it a go. I think because it's sliver, not silk hankies, it's a little slicker and more breakable in unspun form than would be optimal. I'm loving the silky goodness, though, and of course the colorway is one of my favorites, so I might pass this little bag of silk off to Scott to spin into some pretty yarn. I found a silk cap/bell and a couple of silk hankies in my stash, but not enough of any one colorway to make a pair of mittens, so maybe I can combine a couple of colorways to have enough silk. Good experiments.

Three cheers for the stash that made all the fun possible this week without needing to head out onto the icy roads!

But, hey, those roads are clear(ish) now, the sun is shining, and my clients are quiet, so I'm going to plug in some good tunes and take a nice long walk. Happy weekend, everybody!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

Wow, what a storm. It just missed us. My pal in Texas is beside herself!

The crocheted little do-hickies are just the thing to melt a little internal snow. What about a crazy quilt? They don't have to be the same size. So pretty.

I laughed when I saw your silky beginnings of mitts. I read Y.H.'s blog and promptly splurged (and that's a big splurge) on some silk hankies. They should be arriving any day now. I am so excited. We'll have to compare notes. That colorway of yours is really beautiful.

enjoy the rest of the weekend.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

What fun! It's icy and windy here, and in Texas, that's saying something! I haven't wanted to go out either. Currently embroidering, but the silk hankie mitten idea looks pretty tempting! Also: LOVE the granny squares/circles! So beautiful and cheerful on a day like today. Since it's crochet, who cares if they're not the same size? You can just crochet around the smaller ones to make them match, then hook them together! :-)

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home