Thursday, November 11, 2010

warm hat for a cool kid

You may remember the Fiber Twist this fall, when my nephew Z asked me to knit him an earflap hat.

You may also remember the holiday that wasn't, when I picked up some yarn in Z's favorite color.

Then there was a visit to look at options so he could pick which pattern he liked best.

Followed by a browse through the projects on Ravelry, where I learned that the hat was too tall for many people, so I eliminated a plain row at the top and bottom of each colorwork band.

The knitting happened at a rocket fest.

The ends were woven in while watching part 2 of a Theodore Roosevelt documentary (and we all know where that led).

The lining, chosen from the fabric given to Leah by a kind farmers' market customer, was sewn into place last night.

Now there's a warm winter hat on the noggin of a very cool kid.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

Lucky little guy. I like the idea of lining the hat. Most kids can't stand the itch of wool. . . . and we all know, it must be wool.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the hat!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

Great hat! I am totally in love with earflap hats. I'm currently knitting one for my 2-year-old nephew who lives in snowy upstate NY.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home