Saturday, April 17, 2010

right here, always

Thanks, everybody, for the kind words through blog comments and emails. Gram passed away this morning. She had an awesome life and lived it to its fullest up until the very end, surrounded by so many people who loved her every step of the way.

There was a moment when I thought, "I can't believe she's gone." But then I looked around. I was sitting in my office and noticed...

~ the little framed cross stitched love bunny that she made for me 20+ years ago, hanging to the left of my desk

~ the framed prints from our trip to London and Scotland (home of her ancestors) ~12 years ago, hanging near the bunny

~ the just-finished-blooming orchid on the corner of my desk, from our trip to Hawaii a few years ago, a trip which was prompted by the dreamy wish of an enthusiastic globetrotter while we were in Greece

~ the vase with a sprig of viburnum flowers in it, perfuming my office this week, from a plant bought as a housewarming gift for us 17 years ago by...you guessed it

~ the Monet print hanging on the wall, the frame for which used to hang on the wall above the sofa in Gram and Pap's TV room

me and my Gram, playing on the beach in South Carolina, 11/09

In that moment, with that glance around me, I regained my perspective. She's still right here, in our memories, in our hearts, and in our surroundings, remaining a big part of our lives forever. We were so incredibly fortunate to know her, to be on the receiving end of the joy she was known to spread far and wide, and to wrap her in love in return through our words and actions.
Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

Anonymous CTJen said...

((HUGS))

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Debbie. I am so sorry to hear about your gram passing away. My heart goes out to you and your family. What a beautiful testimonial you wrote about her. She's always been a big part of your blog and I've enjoyed your stories about her. She sounds like one really amazing lady.
Debbie
xo

12:40 PM  
Blogger Delaney's Duds said...

Beautiful. May she live forever in your hearts. She is never far. :o)

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family.

6:47 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

You are so fortunate to have had such a loving and wonderful relationship. What a loss for you and your family.
My condolences.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just googled you today of all days to see the obituary about your Gram. Big hug old friend. I am sorry to hear about her passing.
love,
ginnie

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Geri said...

So sorry to hear about your Gram. The photo of you both is so special and speaks to the loving relationship you must have had.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm praying for the whole family. But what a blessed life she led!

6:01 PM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

It's been 15 months and 21 months since my two grandmothers passed. It was hard, but the thing is I still feel they are with me all the time. Just when I pick up the phone and I remember they are gone, it hurts that I can't tell them what I knew they'd love to hear, or what I knew they'd laugh about.

((hugs))

6:36 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm so sorry. I remember you getting ready for her big party not that long ago. It sounds like she had a wonderful long life. You had a special relationship with her that will always make her close to you everyday.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Vickie said...

Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram. I knew she became ill but didnt realize she passed. I feel like I knew your gram from reading about her thru you. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Love, vickie

7:24 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Deb:
So sorry to learn of your gram's passing. You are lucky to have such wonderful memories to help you keep her with you always. You're in my thoughts.
Debbie

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home