Thursday, May 28, 2009

neat

Tuesday morning, I was listening to the Knitmore Girls podcast and they mentioned using these zippered blanket bags to organize yarn and roving. Given that my dining room closet is our spinning/felting storage space
and it's a big family joke how every time someone opens that door, they must be prepared for the resulting avalance of slippery bags of fluff, I clicked right over and ordered TWO DOZEN bags. Total, with shipping? Less than $23.

Wednesday morning -- that's right, in just over 24 hours since I placed my order -- the UPS truck pulled up to my house. :::blink blink::: Seriously? 24 hours and less than $1 a bag?! Yeehaw!

Since I had a pretty hefty workday on my hands, I couldn't dive into the project right then and there, but by dinnertime Wednesday...

Ta da! Avalanche-free zone!

Besides being nicely squared off so they stack neatly, the clear plastic is not slippery, so they stay where you put them, unlike Ziplocs. The 9" bag height is just about perfect for 1-lb. bumps of roving. I fit about 6 lbs. in each bag. Could have easily stored more per bag if the fluff wasn't wound into balls, but it is and I didn't feel like unrolling it all.

Bonus: Found some forgotten treasures while stash diving! Ooh, ahhh...

The packing slip for the blanket bags is on my desk this morning and I just noticed the Cleaner's Supply slogan: "Great prices. Fast delivery." Heck yeah! Two thumbs up for them!
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Whenever we buy anything that comes in one of those zippered bags, I save it for yarn. I just uncovered the zippered bag the boppy nursing pillow came in, and I put fabric in that one. It's an odd shape, but it works!

10:06 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

That looks much nicer! I like that the bags have breathable sides. Do you think your fluff will be happier too?

11:12 AM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

Cool!

Yesterday I repurposed one of those to hol our current nature journals and the pencils and art supplies we are using.

Love seeing it applied to yarn stash.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous AnnieM - The WoolWytch said...

hat a great idea!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

wow!! what a great deal and end result!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

That looks FABULOUS! I'm so glad you found it helpful.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

Well the organized closet looks great!

What fun to get all that fiber so fast and cheap!

6:29 AM  
Anonymous AlisonH said...

Having just spent last Thursday de-avalanching my (main) wool closet with my daughter, well done! I will have to go show this to Jasmin of Knitmore Girls--she's in my local knitting group and a good friend.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home