Wednesday, May 13, 2009

mountain o' merino

I'm not quite sure how this gansey for Scott has come so far with barely a mention on the blog, but it has.
Using a honkin' cone of tweed scored at this year's stash swap, knitting two strands at a time, I'm within an inch of moving into the patterned top portion of the body -- and thank heavens because I've had more than enough of the stockinette slog, thankyouverymuch. One sleeve is knit to approx. the shoulder and the other one only has a few inches to go. Here's a sleeve detail that will also be the central part of the body patterning.
Must stay focused on the gansey, but ooh, it's tough because look what arrived at my house yesterday afternoon!

It's a mountain of merino sliver in the deep teal color that has me all atwitter lately. Yes, I buried my face in it like a big soft pillow. Scott will probably spin this luscious goodness into a 3-ply yarn that I'll knit as any one of the excellent patterns in A Fine Fleece, maybe Flyingdales, with a different neckline. I rec'd this happy-making pile in an awesome barter for soap and glass beads/buttons. The dollar bill is there for scale. Yes, it's red money, received at CT S&W, probably from a dyer, don'cha think? ;-)

Thanks, Rachel, for the offer of hooking us up with your LYS on this weekend's road trip, but our itinerary already includes one Pittsburgh yarn store knit night, an art glass destination, and a living history event, so I think we're good to go! In preparation for the road trip, I cast on a new project last night and made an emergency run to our favorite LYS for another set of Addi lace needles because P2togTBL was nearly impossible otherwise. So now we're good to go!
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Z. said...

P2tog TBL -- I just had that one in a pattern, two. I ended up slipping the two stitches knit-wise with the yarn in front, and then purling them, just like an ssk.

Much easier to live with; but the Addi Lace needles probably helped, too.

Happy trip, and thank you for the wonderful blog. I'm so amazed at your spinning/blowing husband and crafty, musical kids. (Uke classes? AWESOME!) My Dog Has Fleas, too.

(Actually, we live in a house filled with pianos, saxaphones, harmonicas, guitars, and drums, but not a single uke. Gotta change that.)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

That is a pretty teal.

Enjoy your trip to Pittsburg this weekend!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

HAHAHAAA! That pink dollar from the dyer. tee hee heee. That's funny.

Cool blue sweater.

BTW, I am using some darling little glass stitch markers on my little baby sweater that I'm knitting. I LOVE my new stitch markers. (I posted pics on my blog).

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI...normally when you see red money, it has been involved in a robbery. Banks use exploding red dye packs in their bait money. Used to dye the robber's hands so the police can ID them easier.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home