Thursday, May 21, 2009

swirls and squares

After having a no good, awful, terrible Thursday last week, we skedaddled out of here for five fabulous days in Pittsburgh with my grandma. Relaxing and fun, and always good to spend time with Gram!

Before we left, Leah crocheted another Malabrigo Swirls Cap, this one to keep for herself. Still needs buttons.

I knit a couple of Turn A Square hats for charity, using handspun wool and alpaca yarn. Thick, warm, soft, quick, easy. Yay.

(I asked the kids to sit here for this pic, but the whisper and the arm around the shoulder were not posed. :-)

Leah spun this alpaca skein, again for charity. She tends to under-spin/under-ply, so this skein was a breakthrough for her.

Plenty of quiet early morning knitting time for me while we were at Gram's -- during which I thanked RebeccaZ/Maniacknitter every single day because she suggested subbing out P2togTBL for slipping the two stitches knit-wise with the yarn in front, and then purling them, like a SSK. This made the La Novia scarf infinitely easier to knit! Thanks, Rebecca! Pics to come.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Leah is really cranking it out lately!

BTW, if Scott makes another of those chicken laying the egg pendants, let me know. I'd wear that as a necklace! LOL

2:40 PM  
Blogger Delaney's Duds said...

nomination for your lovely blog! Hope to see you soon - June is very close!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Z. said...

(blush)Thank you.(smile)

I've made a couple of beautiful shawls form "Knitting from Estonia," though not the ones in the book.

My favorite: I took a big, bulky, soft alpaca (natural cream color) from a local farm, and some big needles, and knit up the lily-of-the-valley pattern, the modern one with the opposing leaf, in a single repeat stacked four times. Then I did it again, and grafted them together. (Garter stitch borders, and a row of faggoting which I didn't graft well, so it has that home-made look.) It took about 500 yds.

The thing blocked out to an enormous seven feet! It's soft, sweet, and chic. I'm now trying to graft the first repeat into a triangle, with the base of the plant at the point, for, perhaps, a pointed-end rectangle shawl, or a faroe-style shawl.

Happy knitting. And I gotta get me some of those sheep markers. Black sheep markers.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Z. said...

umm, excuse, that's "graph," not "graft."

8:33 AM  
Anonymous CTJen said...

What an adorable picture of your children! :-)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home