Thursday, January 24, 2008

round the world and back again

When we were at a yarn store in Nova Scotia a couple of summers ago, I snapped a pic of this hat that I liked.

Then recently I was browsing Ravelry and saw the collection of mittens based on Creative Whimsy's Newfoundland mitts. I liked them, especially Villapeikko's version, which eliminates the purl blips on color change rows. I dug around in the stash and happened to find some yarn that was just waiting for a project -- the purple/blue from Spa Knit and Spin in Maine last winter and the gray alpaca from VT. So I picked a number and picked some needles and cast on, with the Newfoundland mitts as my guide and Villapeikko's modification from Finland in mind. Next thing you know...


It's a honeycomb hat!


As I was composing this post, I clicked to the main page of Villapeikko's blog and laughed to see that she had the same idea! I toyed with the idea of continuing the pattern all the way to the top, but I took the easy way out and knit a solid gray crown with spiral decreases, whereas she fiddled with it to carry the pattern all the way through.

Chances are pretty good that this hat will join our charity hat stash, waiting for the next donation opportunity. I wonder what part of the world will be added to its story next...
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Suvi said...

That's so fun! :D Your hat is beautiful! It's a small world indeed.

Thank you for commenting on my blog! :)

6:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Clever, clever, clever. It's always such a good idea to photo document such ideas. You never know how they will percolate to the surface and reach fruition.

BTW, glad to hear about Leah's quilting obsession. It's been one of mine for years, even though it's on the back burner for now.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home