Friday, March 30, 2007

can't bring myself to frog it, so...

In the bag of old wool that came here from my Gram's house, there was a half-knit sweater front, without needles, in superfine dark gray boucle and the remaining skeins for the rest of the sweater. My plan was to tear out the knitting and use the yarn for something else, but when I started to frog it, I realized that, holy smokes, a LOT of work already went into this. I just couldn't bring myself to waste the hours upon hours that has already been spent on it, but I also knew there was no way I'd enjoy continuing with that kind of project. So, hmm...

While I was thinking about what to do with it, Leah sat down at the table one morning with size 000 (!) DPNs and carefully picked up all the live stitches.

(small paper clip included for scale)

We then bound off the stitches across the top, brought the sweater sides together, did a mattress stitch seam up the back, folded up the waistband ribbing, and...ta da! A watchman's cap in vintage dark gray boucle!

Scott's thinking about spinning some light gray angora blend that's downstairs and plying it with the remaining boucle for a supersoft scarf. We'll see. Leah's cable-scarf-obsessed right now, so it just might happen.

After a long period of rest, the loom was in motion for some team weaving yesterday. Leah was the official Winder of the Bobbins and Keeper of the Good Tunes, and Jesse was the Weavemaster. I think there was a K'nex motorized bobbin winder at some point too, but I don't see that out by the looms today, so I'm not sure what happened to it. They finished up a stripey woven piece that will become a bag for Leah's projects-in-progress.



This is very much just a beginner project, using the warp that just happened to come with the loom. There's a loom dressing demo coming up at Webs and I had been considering signing us up for that, but I hadn't mentioned it to anyone yet, so when the interest arose so spontaneously yesterday, I went ahead and registered us all, with hearty enthusiasm all around. They did a couple of small stripes using the variegated tencel that's in Leah's cardigan and it's really luscious, so that's definitely in the plans for an upcoming project, but there was also much talk at dinner last night about how to use the Webs gift certificate that we've been holding onto since Christmas. And this morning, as they were getting things together to meet friends at the park, Jesse said to Leah, "Hey, meet me at the loom when we get back home." She agreed, but said she might not stick around long because she's on a knitting mission right now. And that's a post for another day. :-)
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

The whole household is so productive. I think you've all been struck with spring fever, too. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. Don't overwork!

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home