Monday, August 14, 2006

snippets

Can you find the knitter? No, not me. The other knitter who was at the Rock Cats baseball game last week.
It was from this distance that her daughter spotted us across stands before the game started! Luckily, the other friends we were meeting also found us easily and much fun was had by all.

Leah ended up with a cold at the end of the week, so we bagged our camping plans. Much of the weekend was spent happily homebound, weeding the flower garden, playing games, and doing much canning. Peaches, peach jam, salsa, tomato sauce, peach chutney...yum!

Had a great dinner with friends last night, one of whom I was meeting in real life for the first time, but I've known of her for years and we greeted each other with a big hug and conversation flowed easily for hours, so she's a friend, as far as I'm concerned. On the way home, I saw a fiery glow and lots of smoke. As I approached my street, I knew the fire wasn't at my house, but definitely close. The firemen were staging at the intersection just past our house and I could hear their radio communication. It ends up that the VFW hall ~5 buildings away from us was thoroughly destroyed. This is what's left of the building as of this morning.


Bella's sleeves are done and I'm ready to cast on for the body, but I need to do a little checking to see if I can safely steek the wool/silk yarn I'm using. In the meantime, I started a pair of mittens from Mostly Mittens, Traditional Knitting Patterns from Russia's Komi People. Seems like a good fit, since I received an email from Gram this weekend, midway through her cruise on the Baltic Sea, including stops in Sweden (where she celebrated her 87th birthday!), Latvia, Russia, Estonia, and other fascinating places where people might wear exactly this style of woolens.Jesse and Scott are down with the cough and crud now, so we'll gladly spend a few more days laying low and enjoying home. Thank goodness for a lifestyle where we can ride the waves like this and all the options are good ones. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Ooooh! Love the mitten pattern! How fun. Sorry about the summer colds, though. It's run through our family, too. Yuck. Blessings

1:54 PM  
Blogger DesertGirl said...

oh! the VFW!!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm thinking of getting this book. I notice its about $65.00 at Amazon so I'm trying to find out if its worth it. I've knitted fingerless gloves before on double points and normally do hats, a shawl, baby things, and a couple of adult sweaters. Are the patterns difficult? I've done color with charts before (both fair isle and intarsia)....I'm looking for a toddler pair for a couple adopting a child from Russia. Thanks for any info - - !

6:46 AM  
Blogger livnletlrn said...

Hi Kelly -- Your email address was not included in your comment, so I can't respond directly, but hopefully you'll see the response here. The patterns are not difficult, but they do require concentration. I think the book is chock full of gorgeous designs, but I still prob. wouldn't spend $65 on it because there are soooo many free knitting patterns out there. Our library system has it, though, so maybe yours will too.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home