Saturday, July 15, 2006

when all else fails...

...knit socks. I'm working like 70 bajillion extra hours this month and am, not surprisingly, really tired and with not too much brain power come evening. And it's really hot out, so the last thing I want is Leah's nearly-complete sweater resting on my lap as I knit round and round its yoke. So I've been finishing up some socks that were in various phases of done-ness.
The blue/purple ones and the pink ones are Socks that Rock yarn, which I love. The red ones are Cherry Tree Hill, also very nice. All of those are for Leah (small people = small feet = nearly instant gratification). The dark stripey socks in progress are Regia, for Scott. I'm not nearly so fond of this yarn, but at Webs' tent sale days, the price was oh so right.

The pink ones were done toe-up with trials of every toe-up sock heel known to the internet (okay, not really, but a bunch of them) and I was displeased with all, so I ended up just doing a peasant/afterthought heel. I don't like that one either, but came a time when I just wanted those darn socks to be finished. So I've been back to knitting top down socks, even though I'd rather do toe-up if I could find a heel I liked. Then what to my wondering eyes should appear on Knitty, but the Widdershins sock pattern, a toe-up pattern with traditional heel and gusset. Be still my beating sockgeeky heart! So, as you can see, I'm just about finished with the first sock done this way (not truly the Widdershins pattern, but merging that style heel and gusset with my usual K2P2 mindless ribbed socks) and I'm tickled by it.

Today temperatures will soar and I will be knittin' mittens while near/in water. :-) Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

I can't wait to try the knitty.com pattern. It's sitting in my to do pile as we speak. It will be my first toe up sock, but I love your 2x2 variation and may borrow it.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Squeaky said...

I'm glad you like my heel pattern. That really was the key part of Widdershins. As most knitters know, you can always change the stitch pattern. :)

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home