Saturday, January 01, 2011

where there is fun...

I should have known. A few weeks ago, Leah and I went to our first contra dance and it was F-U-N FUN!, so for New Year's Eve, a slightly reluctant Scott and Jesse joined us at another one. Jesse was lured there by the promise of a potluck dinner (yum!) before the dance and we all took part in the beginners' lesson before the main dance started. The next few hours were spent spinning and stomping and laughing and getting the most enjoyable aerobic workout there's ever been as we met a handful of the ~200 other folks who were there for a great time.

See Leah in the middle?
She's dancing with a whirling dervish and excellent dancer
who kept spinning her round and round (with permission)!

I should have known that where there's an evening that's chock full of simple pleasures, there would also be knitters, many knitters! We chatted with at least four who were actively knitting as they did stints as volunteers in various roles or were taking a breather in between dances. Rhonda had this gorgeous shawl draped over her shoulders until it was time to warm up in the foot-stomping way.


Contra dancin' folks are great about mixing it up, and experienced dancers are especially helpful to newbies by asking us to dance and keeping us pointed in the right direction (ha! Truly. They gently scoot you right along when you get confused and I got scooted a lot last night!), so all four of us kept dancing with a variety of partners and had a BLAST.

You wanna know the most astounding thing of all? On the way home, Jesse asked when there will be another such dance because he would be psyched to go again, even if there's not a potluck! He loved the music and even admitted to enjoying the dancing!

I was up early this morning to tackle the sleeve cap on my Minimalist cardigan. I had read others' Minimalist cardigan notes on Ravelry and knew the sleeve cap might be funky, but I figured I'd follow the instructions first to get a better idea of what needed to be done. Sure enough, compared to a sweater that fits well, the sleeve cap was too tall.

Since the rest of the sleepyheads were still crashed, I took advantage of the quiet time to rip back a few rows, modify the pattern, and end up with something that seemed like it would work better. It does!

Now, it's downright balmy out there (54ยบ), so I'm heading out for a good long walk. Happy new year, all!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Delaney's Duds said...

one of my friends was at that contra too.
isn't it a blast. you are right about the pros scooting you in the right direction! lol. that has happened to me.
way to ring in the new year on a fun foot!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I wanna go too!!! :-)

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home