Tuesday, January 04, 2011

i suck

One delicious part of a raw foods lifestyle is green smoothies. These are made with assorted fruits and vegs run through a high powered blender (optimally, although it can also be done with a so-so blender or food processor and strained through a paint strainer bag) to make a tasty drink that's chock full of nutrients, fabulous if you're on-the-go, and very satisfying. I have happily sipped a green smoothie every day for breakfast (and sometimes also for lunch and/or dinner) for the past year. To give you an idea of how delicious these can be, even Jesse loves them and jumps at the chance to have them frequently. His favorite is spinach, bananas, cacao powder, maca powder, cinnamon, and a bit of salt, which he calls "Tasty Mud" and feels like drinking a delicious chocolate banana malted milkshake for breakfast, but is soooo much healthier. We make a lot of green smoothies 'round here!

So, in an attempt to further reduce disposables in our life and cut down on our use of plastics, Scott got some boro (strong) glass tube, added some decorations for the fun of it and to keep them from rolling when on a table, and now we have a beautiful assortment of glass straws in different lengths and thicknesses to work with different sized glasses and smoothies ranging from juice to milkshake consistency.


Glass straws are awesome
for people like me,
who just plain suck.
:-)
Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Anonymous CTJen said...

So pretty! I wonder if he would consider putting them in his shop?

12:17 PM  
Anonymous random Cindy said...

You are too funny Deb. I must be doing the smoothie thing wrong. Or my blender is too tired. I personally can't stand bananas and so many of the recipes call for bananas, why? Now does the straw make it taste better or go down easier? I'm not trying to be funny. I think shaved lunch meat tastes better than sliced. Sorry, hope that doesn't give you the willies. I'm sure my kids jump at the chance to drink anything with a straw but it's not enough to keep them drinking. The closest we get to smoothies is V8Fusion juice. Of course, they don't like soup either. ??

1:36 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Those straws are so cool!!!

I have yet to try the green smoothie. You keep raving about them but somehow it doesn't appeal to me. All I can envision is spinach in a milkshake. I will have to look up some recipes....

2:35 PM  
Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

What a great idea for us smoothie/bubble tea fans.Etsy shop?

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Vickie said...

the glass straws are awesome! Drinking a green smoothy I think I'll pass - ick - but more power to you. Keep up the excellent work, you look great.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer Black said...

I was just telling my running buddy about your green smoothies! What type of blender do you have?

5:11 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

Oh my goodness, those straws are fabulous! Your husband is such a talented glassworker. Very cool!

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home