Just when I accepted the fact that I would be knitting on this green sweater for the rest of my life and never actually making any progress on it -- and I was okay with this. very
insane of me, don'cha think? -- I discovered that it had reached armhole height! Around the same time, I noticed that I was running low on the 2 darker green yarn cakes I was using, so I rummaged around for the others. I found a hank, but no cakes. Stash tossing ensued. I finally realized that the yarn cakes had been eaten by my sweater and all I have left is the one big hank. Crazed weighing and calculations then followed. Seems like I *might* have enough yarn, but yikes, cutting it close, I think! Since there's no hope of getting any more of the vintage dark green yarn, I must knit faster so I can find out how this story ends!
Meanwhile, I'm trying to conjure up some sleeve cap/shoulder construction. I'd like to do set-in sleeves, but haven't found an easy way to make them up myself, since there's no pattern here and I'm just winging it. EZ's Knitting Workshop is checked out of the library, so I can't refer to its sleeve cap guidelines. Therefore, my bright idea is to use the sleeve shaping instructions for a sweater with a free pattern
, using half the number of decrease stitches because my gauge is 4 st/in, not 8 as in the pattern, and plug it into my sweater. This entire thing may crash and burn at any time. Please speak up now if you have words of wisdom or at least don't laugh too hard.
I'll keep you posted.
Socks in fire colors, knit by me for Leah, Trekking yarn, I think.Glass rods
turned into pretty buttons for Leah's cable sweater. Just add fire
Hey, look at Leah's basketweave scarf
in the center of the table in the second picture on Gale Zucker's blog post today
Happy V-Day, everybody! Mwah!