Friday, January 08, 2010

lest we forget

This blog's scope is usually limited to our playtime with textiles and glass, but there's also a whole lot of other cool making of stuff going on, courtesy of mechanically-oriented Jesse. What follows is a collection of his current projects, one of which may be especially of interest to the yarn-lovin' readers of this blog.
Rubber band-powered, pump action K'nex crossbow, the engineering for which kind of blows my mind.



An early Arduino microcontroller project with programming in C language. He and I are learning this together. Again, k'boom goes the mom's brain. He's being very patient with me, especially when I do the Happy Snoopy Dance when things actually work.

Rocket design program, through which he is designing and testing all sorts of crazy rocket contraptions and configurations while learning computer-aided drafting along the way.



Version 1 of a Lego yarn cake winder with dying batteries. Plans already in motion for bigger, better, faster, possibly using an old sewing machine motor and a dimmer switch, which is a good thing because I have a Philosopher's Wool sweater kit just waiting to be wound up for casting on! :-)
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

Wow! That boy has skills!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

I want one! I want one!! (ball winder)

Mwoo ha ha haaaaa! I have a couple of legomaniacs here - I'm going to show them this - they'll think it's hilarious!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesse: As Tim, the tool man, used to say---more power!

Jean

8:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I need to show this to my son so he can build me an electric ball winder!
(http://whateveritneedstobe.blogspot.com/

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home