Thursday, October 22, 2009

color play

Kathy Merrick and Creative Fibers teamed up last night for an evening of putting colors together for projects. Lots of crochet, lots of Koigu, lots of lively debate and discussion by a full house of fiber folks who clearly don't shy away from color.
Throughout, I was working on my first twined knitting project. A few weeks ago, I won some yarn through the New England Textile Arts group. While browsing Ravelry projects that use this yarn, I noticed that it looks good in twined knitting and that's a technique I haven't tried before, so I borrowed Twined Knitting from the library. Plenty of inspiration there, but when it came time to cast on and just do a simple project, there was a little too much information to sift through in the book. Luckily, Ravelry helped me find lots of twined knitting patterns, including one for basic twined mittens. Cast on Tues. evening and by yesterday evening...
Twined knitting is slower going than regular knitting, but I'm not in any hurry. It makes a thicker, warmer, squishier fabric and I'm loving it. I'm letting the variegated yarn do the patterning this time, but there are some very pretty textures and patterns to be made with solid yarn too. Maybe I'll try that next.

Like ripples in a pond, trying one new thing leads to another and another and another. Yahoo!
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

Thanks for all of your bread help! YahooooO! We're making chicken soup today (for tomorrow) for all the sickos in my house and I think a crispy loaf of sour dough will be the pinnacle of the meal!

PS. Have you heard of needlebinding? Check out this link:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/rekandjk/needlebinding-hat

It's really interesting, but I have no idea what it is....

12:23 PM  
Anonymous random-Cindy said...

Those are beautiful! Now I'm going to have to go look that up on Rav. The ripples, ack, never enough time.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Don't you just love Ravelry! So helpful, not to mention enabling. Can't wait to see what "ripples" from this.

The kids just found my lucet. Guess I'll have to play around with that next. Need more ripples in this pond, too.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home