Sunday, October 19, 2008

options

Leah and I spent much of yesterday marveling at beautiful handcrafted items and glorious autumn weather.
Jesse was at a blacksmithing workshop, happily learning some more specifics about pounding hot metal into useful shapes.

This workshop took place a little over an hour from home, so Leah and I decided to hang out in the vicinity while he was busy. We thought about going to Rhinebeck, but decided it made more sense to work on our current projects and just be mellow for the day. It was a good choice. We browsed the gift shop at Brookfield Craft Center and also a farm-turned-art/cooking school. We both laughed out loud when we noticed a yarn store at the end of the farm's road!
Browsed the sunny, comfortable store, then worked our way back to the Craft Center.

Did a bunch of knitting together, listened to podcasts, and oohed and aahed about the trees the whole way home. We weren't at Rhinebeck, but this was a mighty fine option.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't the Village Sheep a wonderful shop? Sounds like a positively wonderful day!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

wonderful day!

9:43 PM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

I need to check that art center out to see what else goes on there!

I wanted to quickly share before dashing out the door that this company was the yarn company that gave me the biggest "Wow" at Rhinebeck yesterday. I don't know that I am bold enough to wear some things made of this. I was tempted to buy at least six skeins of various yarns but none had a project and all were above my budget, some were $50 and $55 for one skein. So I walked away empty handed. And that is okay.

They said they are wholesale and don't sell online, we have to go through local yarn shops who carry their line. Or, there is always next year at Rhinebeck.

I am sure you have seen this but I'll share it just so you can see what I mean by dazzling eye candy.

Great Adirondack Yarn Company is the company.

http://www.dknitting.com/dyes.htm

Thanks for the comment on the acrylic hat. I finished it on Sat. night and younger son wore it all day at Rhinebeck. He likes it as it is soft. I do agree with the warmth issue of wool. If you have ideas for a wool blend that would be warm yet not scratchy let me know.

Older son tried the Lamb's Pride 85% wool, 15% mohair hat that husband said it not scratchy but older son with some sensory issues says it is still scratchy. He wants a hat with angora but so far have not found a blend that is not uber-feminine colors. LOL. This will be worn at Boy Scout campouts so it has to be a bit more earth tones and boy-ish. LOL.

Have a great day!

(Photos are ready for uploading when I have time. I will also give the photo uploading to Ravelry another try when I have a few minutes. It was not working for me and I gave up.)

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home