Monday, October 27, 2008

moments at the farmers' market

The last farmers' market of the season was yesterday and it couldn't have been more pleasant.
Leah wore the Fiber Trends Swirls Hat she knit last week, using Noro Kureyon and a skein of tweedy something or other from our stash. For some reason, the brim came out way wider than expected, so we turned it into a bucket hat by removing a few rounds to make the top more rounded. It's her first time trying the Latvian braid, which adds so much to this design. There's maybe not as much contrast between the yarn colors as we would have liked, but she's still very happy with how it turned out. This will be a gift for a friend's birthday coming up soon and I know she'll be making more of this design. I wonder if the next one will be a bucket hat or the expected shape. I'll make a point of helping her understand yarn dominance for her colorwork the next time too.
A swarm of hungry customers early in the day. Scott brought as much as he could make in the bakery on Saturday and just about sold out of everything. Again. :-) How cool to recognize old friends from high school among the crowd later in the afternoon.

My sister, who conveniently showed up wearing a pink shirt and immediately got drafted as the model for my recently completed Wisp cowl, knitted in Sheep 3 silk and merino handpainted yarn, a row of 11 tiny vintage buttons holding it in a ring. She rec'd compliments on it throughout the day and reluctantly gave it back when it was time to leave. I had it on the day before and am wearing it as I type now. I think it's safe to say this one is a winner! Mmm...silk.
Daughter of the farmer whose booth was next to ours. Dressed in her witchy Halloween costume, she watched me knit and off during the day, asked a couple of questions, and eventually I offered to show her how to knit (and swapped her farmer mom some garlic-parmesan bread and molasses crinkle cookies for leeks and napa cabbage). When we got home, there was an answering machine message from the mom of another young knitter, a sheep-for-Noro swap confirmed, and another online friend with request for pattern info.

So. Much. Fun!
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

I just checked out the doggy link with that unbelievably cute dog in the coat you made him! Oh my. That is a darling dog!

Another fun day at the market. I wish I was there with a cup of joe and a bag of buns from your shop. Mmmmmm. Fresh bread.

The hat is SO pretty! What a talented knitter you've got there.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

fun at the market! ours sadly has finished for the year, so sad!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

Ooh, your baked goods sound so delicious!

That reminds me -- we haven't been to any of the farmer's markets here since we got back to Germany! Must go one of these days. You're making me wistful.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home