Friday, June 06, 2008

yeah, they make stuff

7:30 p.m. Thurs. evening: Opened knitting machine, borrowed from friend, and dove into the quick start directions.
8:30 p.m. Thurs. evening: Had 60 sq. in. of a swatch done.

Would've been more knitting in less time if I was a little more inclined to actually follow directions I read, or willing to move to a table where I could clamp the knitting machine in place, or not simultaneously been provided with demonstrations on the newest K'nex contraption's features. Jesse, our resident Mr. Mechanical, was right there with me for much of the process, since the clatter of this knitting machine is absolutely irresistable to someone like him. I'm not sure this is going to work well with this yarn and I don't really understand the mechanism enough to know what to fiddle with to make it right, but it was a good first run-through. I'll do a better set-up next time and give it another try. I might also just try a small swatch and wash it because I know this yarn blooms significantly and the gauge might be perfectly acceptable post-washing. Pretty cool machine, though, so I'm looking forward to playing with it some more.

The beadmakerbaker is trying some new things lately too and left this jumble of stitch markers and buttons on my desk after a photo shoot yesterday. I think my favorites are the monkey sock stitch marker set and also the "Bah bah black sheep, have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full" set (toward bottom right of pic). Oh, and the sheep to sock set. And Violet the sheep. Oh, drat...I love them all.

After a visit to the Higgins Armory in Worcester on Wed., my guys came home with the drinking glasses they made at a glassblowing workshop last Fri.

Scott's glass is on the left, the taller, iced tea type glass. Jesse's is a little shorter and wider, lighter in color with swirling purple and green frit that you can see better from the inside out. It's amazing how good these glasses feel in your hand. There's just something about handmade items, how good they feel to make and how good they feel to use.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those glasses are GORGEOUS. I think I like the more transparent quality of Jesse's but they are both really nice.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D, I have that *exact* sweater machine. It's yours if you want it. PM me! --J

4:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

You might see if your machine will allow you to use every other needle. That's what I do on my Brother machine when I have a bulkier yarn than usual. It may look strange on the machine, because the threads are pulled taut, horizontally, but once it is off the machine and you give it a nice blocking, the stitches lengthen nicely and loosen up.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home