Sunday, May 27, 2007

a new contest!

In my blog post from earlier today, I mentioned jar dyeing, felt rugmaking, charkha spinning, and weaving as some things we'd like to explore further as a result of yesterday's playtime at MA S&W. Since the foundation of this blog (and our entire lifestyle, really) is living an enthusiastic life and learning all sorts of cool stuff along the way, we decided that should be the theme of our newest giveaway.

So please leave a comment in this entry telling us what new skills/techniques/experiences you've had this Memorial Day weekend or been inspired to try in the future. (Doesn't need to be fiber-related!) We'll choose randomly from the comments and the winner will receive this set of stitch markers, made from Scott's very own lampwork beads. Many more of Scott's handmade beads and buttons are available at Glastonbury Glassworks.


This set uses glass of various transparent blue shades, rolled in crackly bits of silver foil, which took on more of a golden tone while being worked in the flame of his torch, encased in crystal for lots of depth. The pic makes these stitch markers look larger than life, so let me clarify by saying that the rings fit up to size 10 needles and the largest bead is only 3/4" long.

We'll choose the winner on Friday, June 1, at 6:00 p.m. We'll continue to have giveaways at random times in the future, so be sure to come back to visit often or subscribe in your favorite blog reader.

We're looking forward to hearing what inspired you to Live and Learn this weekend. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in Canada, so this isn't a long weekend for me. I don't think I've tried anything new so far, and I doubt I'll have time before the end of today, but the thing I was most recently inspired to try is cheesemaking.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of projects for the summer?
Have you tried solar dyeing with natural dyes? or shibori weaving?
Just wanted to say those are BEAUTIFUL stitch markers

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually spun on a Charkha too this weekend (Cate has a Bosworth one) and it was so much fun! I was inspired to make my own (the Interweave Spin off site has some plans for making one) and get good at charkha spinning.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've done so many things over the years that I'm running out of things to learn, lol. No, do not believe that. I learn something new every day! I've been spinning for about a year now and believe it or not, I have never Navajo plied. I'm committed to learning that next. I did want to learn flamework bead making about a year ago, but I think the hubby would faint dead away if I mentioned another expensive hobby, lol. The stitch markers are gorgeous!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My husband and I went to the MA Sheep and Woolfest on Saturday. I don't spin, but was intrigued by the Rakestraw spinner - bought one along with some fiber to try.

Lisa

11:44 PM  
Blogger Cece said...

I learned how to SPIN!!!! And, we learned how to, and actually put in a raise vegatable garden... which then results in MORE learning about how to plant and care for the vegatables I planted!

Phew. That's a lot of learning.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Manise said...

I was nice meeting you. Since reading Judy's blog (smatterings) and seeing her Jenkins Turkish spindle in action I have always wanted one and to learn how to spin on a bottom whorl. I bought an olive wood Turkish spindle at Cummington and under Judy's tutelage learned how- spun up a small muffin and plied it too while at the Blegger! I've spun, plied, washed and dried 2 more muffins since. I love it!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I learned how to Navajo ply at Cummington this weekend. I tried it at home and it is a success!

Great meeting all of you! We will defintely make plans to meet up again.

And Nicole is half done with her purse she is knitting with the yarn you helped her get :-)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home