Saturday, December 09, 2006

ho ho ho FO FO FO

heh heh...these FOs (finished objects) don't actually have anything to do with Christmas ho ho ho, but I couldn't resist that goofy title.

First is a pair of socks in luscious Lorna's Laces sock yarn, oh so soft and squishable. I didn't get much knitting done while we were on vacation in October, but the knitting I was able to do was mostly on these socks, usually while on the train. I finished them up while on vacation in November. They are what has become my "usual sock pattern," toe-up, Widdershins gusset, 2x2 ribbing, 1 sock at a time on two size 2 circular needles.
Next in the FO parade is a hat for Scott. It's made of leftover yarn from my Philosopher's Wool sweater. As we were packing for the lighthouse trip, we realized that this spring I threw away Scott's old Steelers hat, which was a gift from my dad but had become pretty grungy from years of wear. Since Scott's bald as can be, he needs something toasty to protect his noggin in the winter, so I cast on for this project while waiting for our boat ride to the island and finished it the next day. I guessed how many stitches to use (70-something on who knows what size needles that I grabbed at the last minute) and made it up as I went along. Certainly no great feat of knitwear designing, but it fits him well and he likes it plenty. I'll probably line it with fleece soon (or maybe Leah will) for extra warmth and cushy softness. Last is a sweet little baby hat. It's the Hedda design from Dale of Norway baby collection 129, done in Dalegarn baby wool. I am smitten with this hat, from its spiffy snowflake design to the supersoft yarn to the fun twisted sprout and tassel on top. The only problem here is that it turned out small. This is kind of funny because my previous Dale of Norway experience was the Ladybug sweater that I worked on in Nova Scotia and eventually had to admit had a problem when I realized the 2-year-old size was turning out big enough to fit Leah, who was 7 years old at the time. That sweater remains in a time-out in my closet, but since that turned out so big, I figured I'd knit snug on this hat as a remedy. It's not too tightly knit, still with plenty of stretch and no puckering, but the 9-18 mo. size turned out to be newborn size. Ah well, at least there are a couple of newborns in my life, so hopefully one of them will get to wear it a couple of times before it's outgrown.The pine tree perch pictured here is in my front yard, but there's also one in our living room now. Jesse and Leah are, as usual, delighting in the stories and memories accompanying each ornament, and spending a few minutes after dinner each evening laying under the tree and looking up into it, causing their vision to blur and enjoying the glow of the lights. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Gorgeous hats! And I love the socks. I'm anxious to try some of the wonderful sock yarns everyone raves about. Sounds as though Lorna's Laces is another one to add to the list.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home