Wednesday, June 07, 2006

makers and bakers

So, I mentioned earlier that there have been some other things going on here, besides work, and now I have pictures of some of those things to share.

First, here you see the budding seamstress with her doll, Lucy, which Jesse and I made for her when she was just a toddler.


This week, the seamstress gave Lucy a complete makeover, including latch hooking on some new, long hair and sewing a new wardrobe of many dresses, blouses, skirts, an apron, a shawl, some cord belts, a sleeping bag and pillow, and even knitting her a scarf and some little booties. All without a pattern or much guidance, again breaking all the rules but learning soooo much and completely in her element.



Next, you see a tool of K'nex, made by Jesse, to free up the spinning wheels while winding yarn into a skein. We used it this morning. He added the "stabilization system" ;-) and he's refining it further now, with a brake band to keep the bobbin from spinning too freely. I also posted a few videos of Jesse demonstrating how some of his Knex guns work. Videos here, here, and here. These were filmed earlier this spring, when he was being quite serious because he was sure he could create kits for his weaponry, in collaboration with K'nex, and make a fortune. :-)



Last, a pic of the first skein of yarn I've ever spun. (woo hoo!) Far from perfect, but none too shabby, considering my very minimal amount of experience.

And the baker? Well, as I mentioned below, he's been baking in the bakery and being a beadbaker too. I think this is enough pics for today, but there are certainly more to come soon (probably after vacation), as he made some watercolor-ish floral beads that I think are fantastic!

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Beautiful first yarn! I'm a new spinner too and am quite impressed!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home