Friday, January 13, 2006

Fin!

The epic scarf is finished. After blocking (which I've never done before, but will certainly do again -- wow, what a difference it makes!), it's a whopping 8 feet long! This means I can wrap it twice around my neck, loosely, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The garter stitch grafting was a piece of cake once I found the right sequence of stitches to Kitchener. Unfortunately, the grafting is far from invisible because of the color and shade variations that are the nature of handpainted yarn. I'm a little bit bummed about how much the grafting shows. On the other hand, it did make it possible for me to use up all of the yarn and the scarf is about a foot and a half longer because of that, so I guess it's a trade-off. I could un-graft it and try again with better coordination of yarn colors, but I doubt the grafting will be very obvious when the scarf's in use anyway, so for now I'm DONE with it. And it feels mighty fine around my neck this morning. :-)

So, scarf: check.
Dichro necklaces: check.

WIPs: 2 pairs of socks and a fair isle hat.

Next up:
Finish felted wall hanging.
Help Leah start Grandma's scarf with handspun yarn (plied and set twist on second skein last night).
Finish fair isle hat.
Cast on glittens and Philosopher's Wool sweater.

Interesting links that connect to places we've visited recently:
Augustine volcano eruption images, about 150 miles from where we were in Alaska this summer.
Blog of a friend of Scott's sister, Vickie, who helped build an ice hotel in Iceland this winter. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could sew in some beads to disguise the grafting. Small, clear beads to just catch the light. Just a thought. I love the colors! Can't wait to see it up close.

Debi

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home