Saturday, December 17, 2005

So this is Christmas

It never fails. At some point every December I hear John Lennon singing Happy Christmas (War Is Over).

So this is Christmas
And what have you done?
I have a momentary pang of guilt. I think, "Oh no. What HAVE we done?" Happily, for the last few years that little pang of guilt is followed by a longstanding sense of satisfaction as I immediately realize that, oh yes, we're still doing our share, giving back, helping out where we can.

Another year over
And a new one just begun


And as I was thinking about that some more today, I realized that it probably happens on such a regular basis that we don't even notice it anymore. For instance, here's the pile of hats Leah made to send off to the Dulaan Project. While I was waiting for a work tape to rewind today, I tucked in the last few yarn ends so these hats are ready to go.

And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun


Then the phone rang and it was the Red Cross in Farmington, asking if Scott would be available for a pheresis donation on Monday evening. Pheresis is something I did for a long time in the early 90s and then started again on a regular basis when a friend was diagnosed with aplastic anemia in 2004. For the past few months, Scott has discovered how good it feels to spend a few hours at the Red Cross, doing something that's painless, makes you feel so good, and helps a lot of people, so he'll definitely be there for the offered appointment on Monday.

The near and the dear ones
The old and the young


And tomorrow morning we'll finish packaging the 120 bars of handmade soap that will be donated to the senior citizens in town as favors during their annual holiday party. And there's a card of thanks from the Heifer Organization on my desk right now and a message in my email box about our offer to volunteer at Old Sturbridge Village.

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year


The best feeling of all is knowing that these aren't one-shot deals. The needs continue throughout the year and we'll continue to help out where we can. When it feels this good and right to do so, how could we resist?

Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear


Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger DesertGirl said...

oh... i miss you guys SO much. I'm really glad you've starting blogging. Maybe I'll start doing something with mine.

April

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home