Monday, November 23, 2009

insideoutedness

I have lots of knitting to show you, but haven't taken pics yet. Maybe later today. Meanwhile, I wanted to show you something funky.

First, a little background: I don't shop. Oh, I'll go to Goodwill or a tag sale for the rare thing we need around here, but big retail places give me the willies, from the artificial lighting and smells to the agonizing muzak and endless racks of stuff. I'd rather buy necessary items second-hand, at a fraction of the cost and often of very high quality, or find a way to otherwise make the most of what we already have. When we do need to hit a store for something new, it's with a very definite purpose and a quick in and out.

So, one rainy morning in South Carolina, when Scott wanted to browse a nearby Bass Pro Shop (the catalogs of which he has drooled over for years), the rest of us went along for the heck of it, my thought being that it could be entertaining, since shopping without a purpose is entirely foreign to us. I was right; it was entertaining!

Pardon me if this is old news, but the memo hadn't delivered under my rock yet. Apparently, fair isle sweaters are being marketed this season. Nothing unusual about that, but this year somebody came up with the idea of putting the pieces together inside out!

With all those floats, just waiting to catch on things! Seriously? Dropping $60 on this seems like a good idea to somebody? Unless it's somebody who can re-weave ends and fix a snagged loop of yarn, I bet it's headed for the landfill within one season.

Inside, it is indeed a fair isle sweater of the usual kind. It could almost be worn inside out, which would be the usual right side out, if not for the raggedy sewn seams.

So glad to have the option of making my own, at a fraction of the cost with second-hand/reclaimed yarn, in the styles that I like best, of higher quality materials and many, many more years of expected usefulness.

Okay, enough of the snark. See what retail places do to me? It's not pretty.

Parade of FOs to come!
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Anonymous Kris said...

An inside out fair isle? I just don't get it. Are they sure it wasn't someone's colossal screw up that should have ended up in the $2 section of the outlet store? Bizarre!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous amy said...

Oh, but at Bass Pro you CAN get a lure holder thingy, which is just perfect for holding all my circulars. For cheap, too!

The sweater thing, though. That's just crazy.

8:30 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

That's the second time I've seen that idea. I agree on the floats snagging. I can snag a sweater on just about anything, including screen door handles, grocery carts, and my own clothing.

Perhaps on the yoke it would be OK. I confess that I've always found the inside of my stranded projects to be just as pretty as the outside.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

One word - EWWWW!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I wasn't aware of this fad as I avoid shopping as well -- the crowds, all the stuff, the loud music -- it makes me want to swoon. We prefer our quiet thrift stores where we've found one-of-a-kind treasures. My best find was a Dale of Norway pullover for $12. Don't think it had ever been worn!

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home